Rose Petal Polar Plot With 6 Petals

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plot Polar
In summary, a rose petal with 6 petals can be graphed using the equations r = a cos nθ or r = a sin nθ, where n is even or odd respectively. However, non-integer values of n can also be used, such as n = 3/2, to create a more unique and visually appealing graph. Alternatively, equations like r^2 = 3sin(2θ) or r = √sin(6θ) can also be used to create a six-petaled rose with varying petal widths.
Bashyboy
Member warned about not using the homework template
What is the functional form of rose petal with 6 petals? I am asked to graph this function with matlab, but it seems impossible according to my calculus textbook. According to my textbook, a rose curve can have the form [itex]r = a \cos n \theta[/itex] or [itex]r = a \sin n \theta[/itex]. When n is even, then there are 2n petals; when n is odd, then there are n petals.

Is there any way of accomplishing this, graphing a rose petal with 6 petals?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:
What is the functional form of rose petal with 6 petals? I am asked to graph this function with matlab, but it seems impossible according to my calculus textbook. According to my textbook, a rose curve can have the form [itex]r = a \cos n \theta[/itex] or [itex]r = a \sin n \theta[/itex]. When n is even, then there are 2n petals; when n is odd, then there are n petals.

Is there any way of accomplishing this, graphing a rose petal with 6 petals?

Experiment with nonintegers. Try n=3/2.

I shall assume you are edicted to pick n as an integer.
Let r = sin(nθ), and write α = π/n. The first petal is from θ=0 to θ=α, the second from α to 2α. But if you look at where these appear, the second will look like the first rotated about the origin by an angle - what angle (as a multiple of α)?
The third petal will look like the second, but rotated by that same angle. What will the total of these angles be when you stop getting new petals?

You can make a six-petaled rose with the equation ##r^2 = 3sin(2θ)##. I am not sure if the 3 changes the number of petals. But that will do it for you.

Last edited:
simpsonsruler said:
You can make a six-petaled rose with the equation ##r^2 = 3sin(2θ)##. I am not sure if the 3 changes the number of petals. But that will do it for you.
No, that is a two petaled lemniscate.

Depending on your taste, you might try ##r=\sqrt{sin(6\theta)}## or you might try ##r = sin(3\theta/2)##. Those each have 6 petals, but the width of each petal is not ##(2\pi)/6## the way you might like.

Related to Rose Petal Polar Plot With 6 Petals

1. What is a Rose Petal Polar Plot With 6 Petals?

A Rose Petal Polar Plot With 6 Petals is a type of graph used to display data in a circular format. It is created by plotting points on a polar coordinate system and connecting them with lines to form 6 petals, resembling a flower.

2. How is a Rose Petal Polar Plot With 6 Petals different from other types of graphs?

A Rose Petal Polar Plot With 6 Petals is different from other types of graphs because it uses polar coordinates instead of Cartesian coordinates. This allows for a circular representation of data, rather than a linear one.

3. What kind of data is best represented by a Rose Petal Polar Plot With 6 Petals?

A Rose Petal Polar Plot With 6 Petals is best used to display data that has a cyclical or periodic pattern. This could include data related to time, seasons, or any other repeating cycle.

4. How do you interpret a Rose Petal Polar Plot With 6 Petals?

To interpret a Rose Petal Polar Plot With 6 Petals, you can look at the distance from the center to the edge of the plot, as well as the angle at which the data point lies. The distance represents the magnitude of the data, while the angle represents the direction or phase of the data within the cycle.

5. What are some common uses for a Rose Petal Polar Plot With 6 Petals in scientific research?

A Rose Petal Polar Plot With 6 Petals can be used in a variety of scientific fields, such as meteorology, astronomy, and biology. It is commonly used to study phenomena that have cyclical patterns, such as climate changes, planetary orbits, and biological processes.