Rotating a marble in a glass tube ?

In summary, Walter Lewin explains that the centrifugal force is caused by the marble wanting to go tangent to the circle when the glass tube starts to rotate.
cragar
So if i have a marble in a glass tube and i rotate the tube around in a circle . and the marble is at a distance r from the center of rotation . is the reason the marble goes towards the outside of the tube because when the glass tube starts to rotate the marble wants to go tangent to the circle so it is allowed to go further back in the tube when it rotates. and the end of the glass tube keeps it their . Is this what gives rise to the fictitious force .

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to elaborate. Describe the experiment. Ask your question. Make them two distinct steps.

Also, normally it wouldn't be a big deal but, since your message is already confusing, some attention to correct punctuation would go a long way.

the marble is at rest when we start to rotate the tube . so wouldn't the marble
want to go into a straight line .

If we lay a test tube on a table and place a marble in it then glue an vertical axis ( a vertical wire) on to the open end of the tube and rotate the tube around the wire the marble will moved to the closed end of the test tube. It is centrifugal force that does this. If the tube is suddenly broken then the marble will travel in a straight line determined by it's position when the tube broke. Also yes if the tube is intact it is the marble trying to move in a straight line that causes it to move to the closed end of the test tube.

cragar said:
the marble is at rest when we start to rotate the tube . so wouldn't the marble
want to go into a straight line .
You haven't even specified which axis the tube is rotating through, so I can't even begin to imagine the setup.

we rotate the glass tube as if we were swinging a golf club , the golf club being the glass tube , and the marble is half way down the tube , halfway from the point of rotation
to the edge of the circle . and we rotate it with a constant angular velocity .

cragar said:
we rotate the glass tube as if we were swinging a golf club , the golf club being the glass tube , and the marble is half way down the tube , halfway from the point of rotation
to the edge of the circle . and we rotate it with a constant angular velocity .

Really?? Here I was guessing that the tube was rotating through its long axis.

Look, I've already put more effort into this thread than you have. If you're satisfied with the answers you're getting then power power to ya.

I'm done here.

Assuming the tube is frictionless, it's my guess that until the marble collides with the end of the tube, there's no radial (centripetal) component of force, just tangental. When the marble intiallly collides with the end of the tube, it may bounce, depending on how elastic the collision is. Once the marble has stabilized at the end of the tube, then the end of the tube produces only a radial component of force, and no tangental component (assuming constant angular velocity). The Newton third law pair of forces at this time would be a centripetal force exerted by the end of the tube onto the marble, coexistant with the reactive force exerted by the marble onto the end of the tube. Those forces combine to produce a compressive deformation at the point of contact between marble and end of tube. That reactive force is only called "fictitious", if that force is observed in an accelerating frame of reference, such as a rotating frame of reference (for example a frame of reference based on the end of the tube).

Last edited:
thanks rcgldr , that makes sense , and thanks to everyone else who also gave input .

DaveC426913 said:
You haven't even specified which axis the tube is rotating through, so I can't even begin to imagine the setup.

The axis of rotation is the wire.

arydberg said:
The axis of rotation is the wire.
There is no wire.

Maybe we should start over again.

arydberg said:
Maybe we should start over again.
This is what I've been trying to say, yes.

i got the answer i was looking for , but you guys can continue if you want .

If I'm not wrong, this is precisely how Walter Lewin (that MIT professor) explained, in one of his lectures, the origin of the centrifugal force. It was a brilliant lecture!

yes you are correct , he is a very smart man

Related to Rotating a marble in a glass tube ?

What is the purpose of rotating a marble in a glass tube?

Rotating a marble in a glass tube is a simple experiment that can demonstrate the effects of gravity and centrifugal force. It can also be used to study the principles of rotational motion and angular momentum.

How do you perform the experiment of rotating a marble in a glass tube?

To perform this experiment, you will need a glass tube, a marble, and some tape. First, tape one end of the glass tube to a tabletop. Then, place the marble inside the tube and hold the other end of the tube parallel to the tabletop. Rotate the tube in a circular motion, keeping the marble inside the tube.

What happens when you rotate a marble in a glass tube?

When you rotate a marble in a glass tube, the marble will stay in motion due to the centrifugal force generated by the circular motion. The marble will also experience a downward force due to gravity, causing it to move towards the outside of the tube. This creates a curved path of motion for the marble.

How does the rotation speed affect the marble's motion in the glass tube?

The rotation speed directly affects the amount of force and the shape of the marble's path inside the glass tube. The faster the rotation speed, the greater the centrifugal force, and the more the marble will move towards the outside of the tube. Additionally, increasing the rotation speed will also cause the marble's path to become more curved.

What other factors can affect the marble's motion in the glass tube?

Other factors that can affect the marble's motion in the glass tube include the size and weight of the marble, the diameter and length of the tube, and the smoothness of the surface inside the tube. These factors can impact the amount of friction and air resistance experienced by the marble, and therefore, affect its motion.