Rotating B Field: Find Angle for Net Field of 99 nT

In summary, to find the angle at which loop 2 must be rotated for the magnitude of the net magnetic field to be 99 nT, you will need to use the formula B2 = u*i / 2R * cos(theta) and then plug the value into the formula Bnet = B2 - B1 to solve for theta.
valentinemiss

Homework Statement

Two concentric circular loops of wire carrying current in the same direction lie in the same plane. Loop 1 has radius 1.8cm and carries 3.6 mA. Loop 2 has radius 2.3cm and carries 6 mA. Loop 2 is to be rotated about a diameter while the net magnetic field set up by the two loops at their common center is measured. Through what angle must loop 2 be rotated so that the magnitude of the net field is 99 nT?

Homework Equations

Bnet = B2 - B1
B1 = u*i / 2R = B2

The Attempt at a Solution

I found B1 to equal 1.26E-7 using the formula above but B2 is where I get stuck. I am not sure where to factor in the angle. I know after I get that figured out I can plug in the values for Bnet and B1 and solve for theta in the B2 formula. You don't need to solve it for me just give me a hint or place to start.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. To solve for B2, you can use the formula B2 = u*i / 2R, where u is the permeability of free space, i is the current in loop 2, and R is the radius of loop 2. However, to incorporate the angle of rotation, you will need to use the formula B2 = u*i / 2R * cos(theta), where theta is the angle of rotation. This is because the magnetic field strength at the center of the loops will vary depending on the angle of rotation. Once you have the value for B2, you can plug it into the formula Bnet = B2 - B1 and solve for theta. I hope this helps. Best of luck with your calculations!

Related to Rotating B Field: Find Angle for Net Field of 99 nT

1. What is a rotating B field?

A rotating B field is a type of magnetic field that changes direction and magnitude over time. It is typically created by rotating electrical currents or magnets and is commonly used in research and industrial applications.

2. How is the angle for the net field of 99 nT found?

The angle for the net field of 99 nT can be found using mathematical formulas and equations that take into account the individual contributions of the rotating B field's magnitude and direction at different points in time.

3. What are the units of measurement for the net field of 99 nT?

The units of measurement for the net field of 99 nT are tesla (T) or nanotesla (nT), which are both units of magnetic flux density. These units measure the strength of the magnetic field in a given area.

4. What factors can affect the net field of 99 nT?

The net field of 99 nT can be affected by various factors such as the strength and direction of the rotating B field, the distance from the source of the B field, and any other magnetic fields present in the environment.

5. How is a rotating B field used in scientific research?

A rotating B field has many applications in scientific research, including studying the effects of magnetic fields on materials and biological systems, creating controlled environments for experiments, and testing the capabilities of various instruments and equipment.