Rotating cylinder on inclined surface

In summary, the cylinder is rotating on an inclined surface without linear velocity, and the coefficient of kinetic friction is μk. During Δt1, it remains at the same height until rotation stops. It then takes Δt2 for the cylinder to reach the bottom of the incline. The angle of inclination of the surface is determined by the presence of kinetic friction during Δt1 and static friction during Δt2. The cylinder is able to roll down the incline without slipping due to the presence of sufficient static friction, with the condition that μs > μk/3.
user5

Homework Statement

A cylinder is rotating about its axis and is placed on an inclined surface without linear velocity, the coefficient of kinetic friction between the surface and the cylinder is μk . During Δt1 it stays at the same height till the rotation stops. From that moment it takes Δt2 for the cylinder to reach the bottom of the inclined surface. What is the angle of inclination of the surface?
--------
My question is why does at time Δt1 there is a kinetic friction but not static- because as the problem states cylinder doesn't move?

Physics news on Phys.org
Because its rotating. The problem says it doesn't have any LINEAR velocity, but it does have angular velocity.

Likes 1 person
Why does at Δt2 friction do no work? How do I know that all the way down there is only a static friction?

Because once the cylinder stops rotating, it begins to roll down the incline, so since it is no longer "slipping" it feels little or no friction.

Likes 1 person
Jesse H. said:
Because once the cylinder stops rotating, it begins to roll down the incline, so since it is no longer "slipping" it feels little or no friction.
I think this response needs to be modified just a little for clarity. Since it is no longer slipping, it feels no kinetic friction. However, static friction is now present to provide the torque necessary to increase its angular velocity as it rolls down the plane.

Chet

Likes 1 person
Yes, thank you chet.

Why mgsinθ would not provide the needed ability to slip?

Jesse H. said:
There's a bit more to the answer to this.
First, you need to understand what's happening in the first time period. Clearly the cylinder is slipping, and since it is staying in the same spot on the incline there is a precise relationship between the kinetic friction force, the angle of the incline and the weight of the cylinder. Note that this relationship is independent of the rate of spin. it follows that the force of kinetic friction is sufficient to prevent the cylinder from moving down the incline, so such movement can only occur when there is no long kinetic friction acting up the incline. I.e., the cylinder is now rolling.

Likes 1 person
user5 said:
Why mgsinθ would not provide the needed ability to slip?
Since they don't tell you what the coefficient of static friction is, I guess you have to assume that, during the second part, the coefficient is high enough to prevent slippage and to allow the cylinder to roll instead. If there were ice on the incline, the cylinder could possibly slide down the incline without rolling.

Likes 1 person
If there's enough kinetic friction to hold the cylinder in place as it slips, then I think you can show that there will be enough static friction for the cylinder to roll down the plane without slipping as long as $$\mu_s > \frac{\mu_k}{3}$$ For "ordinary" materials, ##\mu_s > \mu_k##.

Likes 1 person
Chestermiller said:
Since they don't tell you what the coefficient of static friction is, I guess you have to assume that, during the second part, the coefficient is high enough to prevent slippage and to allow the cylinder to roll instead.
There's no need for an assumption here. The information about the first time period ensures this. See my post #8.

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
There's no need for an assumption here. The information about the first time period ensures this. See my post #8.
I agree. But there seemed to be some questions about the second time period that I wanted to say something about.

Chet

Likes 1 person

Related to Rotating cylinder on inclined surface

1. What is the purpose of studying a rotating cylinder on an inclined surface?

The purpose of studying a rotating cylinder on an inclined surface is to understand the dynamics and motion of the cylinder as it rolls down the incline. This can help us analyze and predict the behavior of other objects on inclined surfaces, such as cars on hills or balls rolling down ramps.

2. How does the angle of the incline affect the motion of the cylinder?

The angle of the incline plays a significant role in the motion of the cylinder. A steeper incline will result in a faster and more unstable descent of the cylinder, while a gentler incline will result in a slower and more stable descent. This is due to the changing forces and torque acting on the cylinder as it rolls down the incline.

3. What are the main forces acting on the rotating cylinder on an inclined surface?

The main forces acting on the rotating cylinder are gravity, normal force, and friction. Gravity pulls the cylinder down the incline, while the normal force from the surface keeps it from falling through. Friction acts in the opposite direction of motion, slowing down the cylinder's descent.

4. How does the radius of the cylinder affect its motion on an inclined surface?

The radius of the cylinder also plays a significant role in its motion on an inclined surface. A larger radius results in a slower descent due to the increased rotational inertia. On the other hand, a smaller radius will result in a faster descent due to the decreased rotational inertia.

5. What are the real-world applications of studying a rotating cylinder on an inclined surface?

The study of a rotating cylinder on an inclined surface has many real-world applications. For example, understanding the dynamics of a rolling cylinder can help engineers design better tires for vehicles, or improve the stability of objects on inclined surfaces such as ski slopes. It can also be applied to the design of amusement park rides or even the movement of celestial bodies in space.