Rotating Object Changing Direction

In summary, the conversation discusses a demonstration where an elongated object was rotated and caused to wobble and change direction when pushed down on the side. This phenomenon is caused by friction and the object's geometry, and is known as a Rattleback. It is not precessing or exhibiting significant gyroscopic effects.
integraldydx
I recently saw a demonstration where an elongated object (not a top) was rotated. The demonstrator applied some force to spin it but also pushed down on the side of the object, causing it to wobble as it spun. It then slowed down, stopped, and changed direction, spinning in the other direction. If it is relevant, I think there were masses placed at either end of the object. Does anyone know what causes this?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
integraldydx said:
I recently saw a demonstration where an elongated object (not a top) was rotated. The demonstrator applied some force to spin it but also pushed down on the side of the object, causing it to wobble as it spun. It then slowed down, stopped, and changed direction, spinning in the other direction. If it is relevant, I think there were masses placed at either end of the object. Does anyone know what causes this?

Thanks!
This can occur if the wobble or precession is opposite to the direction of spin. When it slows down, the wobble increases and it eventually falls over on its sidee. When this occurs, the friction between the spinning object and the surface it is on causes the object to roll around on the surface. Since the direction of the spin is opposite to the direction of the precession, the object changes direction.

AM

It's not precessing. It's not spinning fast enough for any significant gyroscopic effects.

I've seen one of these made into a cast plastic toy already. But yes, it has to do with friction and the object's odd geometry. I wish I could remember what they called them, so I can look up a video, or at least some images for others to see.

Edit: Ha! Found. it. It's called a Rattleback.

Related to Rotating Object Changing Direction

1. How does a rotating object change direction?

A rotating object changes direction when an external force acts upon it, causing its angular velocity to change. This can be achieved through the application of torque, which is a force that causes rotation.

2. Why do rotating objects change direction?

Rotating objects change direction because of the principle of conservation of angular momentum. This means that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque.

3. What factors affect the direction change of a rotating object?

The direction change of a rotating object is affected by the magnitude of the external force or torque applied, the initial angular velocity of the object, and the moment of inertia, which is a measure of the object's resistance to changes in rotation.

4. Can a rotating object change direction without an external force?

No, according to the principle of conservation of angular momentum, a rotating object cannot change direction on its own without an external force acting upon it. Any change in direction must be caused by an external torque.

5. How can we calculate the change in direction of a rotating object?

The change in direction of a rotating object can be calculated using the formula: Δω = τ/I, where Δω is the change in angular velocity, τ is the external torque applied, and I is the moment of inertia of the object.

Back