Rotating Record Frequency Calculation

• Thread starter marnold1987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotating
In summary, a vinyl record is played by rotating the record so that the groove in the vinyl slides under a stylus, causing it to oscillate. The bumps in the groove are uniformly separated by 0.161 mm and the record turns at a rate of 33 rev/min. With this information, we can calculate that the bumps hit the stylus at a rate of 3.49 hits per second.
marnold1987
A vinyl record is played by rotating the record so that an approximately circular groove in the vinyl slides under a stylus. Bumps in the groove run into the stylus, causing it to oscillate. The equipment converts those oscillations to electrical signals and then to sound. Suppose that a record turns at the rate of 33 rev/min, the groove being played is at a radius of 12.0 cm, and the bumps in the groove are uniformly separated by 0.161 mm. At what rate (hits per second) do the bumps hit the stylus?

I am totally lost on this problem...please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
marnold1987 said:
A vinyl record is played by rotating the record so that an approximately circular groove in the vinyl slides under a stylus. Bumps in the groove run into the stylus, causing it to oscillate. The equipment converts those oscillations to electrical signals and then to sound. Suppose that a record turns at the rate of 33 rev/min, the groove being played is at a radius of 12.0 cm, and the bumps in the groove are uniformly separated by 0.161 mm. At what rate (hits per second) do the bumps hit the stylus?

I am totally lost on this problem...please help me.

Welcome to PF.

How fast is the stylus moving over the vinyl?

If the bumps are registered at .161mm then how fast are they encountered at this speed?

I don't know where to even start on this

3.49 rad/s I think

oh thanks I finally figured it out with that help

marnold1987 said:
oh thanks I finally figured it out with that help

No problem then.

Cheers.

FAQ: Rotating Record Frequency Calculation

What is the Rotating Record Problem?

The Rotating Record Problem is a theoretical physics problem that involves a rotating disk with a hole in its center and a string that is wound around the disk. The question is, what happens to the tension in the string as the disk rotates?

What is the significance of the Rotating Record Problem?

The significance of the Rotating Record Problem lies in its application to real-world situations, such as understanding the mechanics of spinning objects or analyzing the behavior of materials under different forces.

What factors affect the tension in the string in the Rotating Record Problem?

The tension in the string is affected by the angular velocity of the disk, the radius of the disk, and the mass of the disk. The angle at which the string is attached to the disk also plays a role in the tension.

What is the solution to the Rotating Record Problem?

The solution to the Rotating Record Problem involves complex mathematical equations and can vary depending on the specific parameters of the problem. However, it can generally be solved using principles of rotational dynamics and conservation of energy.

What real-world applications are related to the Rotating Record Problem?

The Rotating Record Problem has applications in various fields such as engineering, biomechanics, and materials science. It can be used to analyze the behavior of rotating machinery, understand the mechanics of human joints, and study the properties of materials under different forces.