Rotating rod returning to its initial position

In summary, the rod is struck with an impulse that equals the product of the moment of inertia and the angular acceleration.
Helphelphelp

Homework Statement

A uniform rod (mass 'm', length 'l') held horizontally above the ground. It is released from its supports and struck vertically upwards at one end. With what impulse should the rod be struck if it is to return to exactly its starting position and orientation?

Homework Equations

I know the moment of inertia of a rod about its centre is ml^2/12,
Torque = Moment of Inertia x Angular acceleration
and the rod moves in the vertical plane around the CM in spirals, but apart from that I'm really stuck.

I can't seem to get the concept of how the rod returns to its starting position.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I tried to conserve energy, mgh=0.5 Iω^2 + KE but I'm not sure where that gets me.

Thanks for any help or pointers :)

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not an energy conservation situation. Note that the torque about any point on the vertical path of the CM is zero. Also note that in the time the CM goes up and comes back down, the rod undergoes an integer number of revolutions about the CM. Start by figuring out expressions for the initial speed of the CM and the initial angular speed about the CM.

Likes Helphelphelp
Ahh thank you
So I just found the change in velocity as ωL/6 (from change of angular momentum=radius*linear momentum).
Also that the time taken for it to reach the same place is (2πLn/3g)^0.5 where n is the number of revolutions.
Now how do I get the new required impulse to return it to its original orientation? o_O
How do I know that it actually needs a counter impulse?

Helphelphelp said:
... the time taken for it to reach the same place is (2πLn/3g)^0.5
This doesn't look right. The time depends on the impulse J.
Helphelphelp said:
Now how do I get the new required impulse to return it to its original orientation?
What new required impulse? The CM is kicked up by the initial impulse J and is pulled back down by the force of gravity.

Likes Helphelphelp
can't believe I was so silly, I thought there was a second impulse we had to give the rod doh!
Thanks for your patience, got it sorted now

Helphelphelp said:
Thanks for your patience, got it sorted now
OK, what's your answer?

Related to Rotating rod returning to its initial position

1. What is a rotating rod?

A rotating rod is a cylindrical object that can rotate around a fixed axis.

2. How does a rotating rod return to its initial position?

A rotating rod returns to its initial position due to the conservation of angular momentum. When the rod is rotated, it gains angular momentum, but as it slows down, this momentum is converted back into its initial form, causing the rod to return to its original position.

3. What factors affect the speed at which a rotating rod returns to its initial position?

The speed at which a rotating rod returns to its initial position can be affected by various factors such as the mass and length of the rod, the initial angular velocity, and the amount of friction present.

4. Are there any real-life applications of a rotating rod returning to its initial position?

Yes, there are several real-life applications of this phenomenon. For example, in gyroscopes, the rotating wheel returns to its initial position when the angular momentum is conserved. This is also seen in the motion of a spinning top, where the top returns to its initial position due to conservation of angular momentum.

5. How is the concept of a rotating rod returning to its initial position related to other scientific principles?

The concept of a rotating rod returning to its initial position is related to other scientific principles such as conservation of energy and angular momentum. It also plays a role in the study of rotational motion and its applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.