Rotating Vectors: Clockwise and Anti-clockwise

In summary, the conversation is about a homework question and its solution provided by the teacher. The student is having difficulty understanding the solution, specifically the answer to questions 13 and 14. The conversation then moves on to the topic of rotation matrices, with the student mentioning that they know how to use them to find coordinates other than the origin. The solution provided by the teacher is deemed incorrect by both the student and the expert summarizer.
lioric

Homework Statement

IMG_5437.JPG

I'm not asking how to do this question
This is a work done by one of my students
And the highlighted part it seems to be the correct answer that the teacher gave. I cannot make any sense out of these two questions
Perhaps one of you might shed some light on to this.

Homework Equations

Clockwise 90O is
| 0 1 |
|-1 0 |

And anti clockwise 90O is
| 0 -1 |
| 1 0 |

And this is about the origin

I also know that the inverse transformation of a clockwise rotation is anti clockwise rotation

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
But inverse matrix of a clockwise 90O about the point (5,-2) is = (-2,5) I don't understand

Attachments

• IMG_5437.JPG
    IMG_5437.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 840
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lioric said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 224728

I'm not asking how to do this question so please don't put this in the home work section
And the highlighted part it seems to be the correct answer that the teacher gave. I cannot make any sense out of these two questions

Homework Equations

Clockwise 90O is
| 0 1 |
|-1 0 |

| 0 -1 |
| 1 0 |

I also know that the inverse transformation of a clockwise rotation is anti clockwise rotation

[/B]
But inverse matrix of a clockwise 90O about the point (5,-2) is = (-2,5) I don't understand
You need to do this in three steps.
1) A translation that moves the point (5, -2) to the origin,
2) a 90° clockwise rotation,
3) a translation that moves the origin to the point (5, -2).

lioric said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 224728

I'm not asking how to do this question so please don't put this in the home work section

Homework Equations

Clockwise 90O is
| 0 1 |
|-1 0 |

| 0 -1 |
| 1 0 |

[/B]

Do not post images: just type out the question and the parts you are having trouble with. Your images are unreadable on my devices, so I would not be able to help, even if I was willing to do so.

You should read the "pinned" post "Guidelines for students and helpers", by Vela; it explains fully the desirability of typing instead of attaching. Of course, typing it out requires some effort, but many (not all) helpers will say that if you are not willing to do it they are not willing to help.

Last edited:
tnich said:

I know that part
I mean I know how to use matrix to find coordinates other that the origin

I'm just asking about the answer written by the teacher in that attachment
Cause I don't get how the numbers in the point of origin flips

tnich said:
Since you are dealing with column vectors, it seems to me that your rotation matrices are backwards. If you apply the rotation matrix
##\begin{bmatrix} 0 & 1\\-1 &0\end{bmatrix}##

to a column vector
##\begin{bmatrix} a\\b\end{bmatrix}##

you get
##\begin{bmatrix} a'\\b'\end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix} 0 & 1\\-1 &0\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} a\\b\end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix} a\\b\end{bmatrix}##
lioric said:
I know that part
I mean I know how to use matrix to find coordinates other that the origin

I'm just asking about the answer written by the teacher in that attachment
Cause I don't get how the numbers in the point of origin flips
Seriously? That's the teacher's answer sheet? I don't think the answers to questions 13 and 14 make any sense at all.

tnich said:
Since you are dealing with column vectors, it seems to me that your rotation matrices are backwards. If you apply the rotation matrix
##\begin{bmatrix} 0 & 1\\-1 &0\end{bmatrix}##

to a column vector
##\begin{bmatrix} a\\b\end{bmatrix}##

you get
##\begin{bmatrix} a'\\b'\end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix} 0 & 1\\-1 &0\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} a\\b\end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix} a\\b\end{ts

Seriously? That's the teacher's answer sheet? I don't think the answers to questions 13 and 14 make any sense at all.

There it is
See ? that's what I m asking
It doesn't make any sense to me either
I was just asking you guys before I go nut thinking about this
Ya seriously why would the point of rotation flip like that
So can we agree that the answer to 13 and 14 are incorrect?

Related to Rotating Vectors: Clockwise and Anti-clockwise

1. What is an inverse transformation?

An inverse transformation is a mathematical process that undoes a previous transformation. It allows you to go back to the original values before the transformation was applied.

2. Why is inverse transformation important?

Inverse transformation is important because it allows for data to be interpreted in its original form. This can be useful for analysis and understanding relationships between variables.

3. How does inverse transformation differ from regular transformation?

Regular transformation involves changing the values of a variable, while inverse transformation undoes those changes. Regular transformation is often used to make data more normally distributed, while inverse transformation brings it back to its original distribution.

4. What are some common inverse transformations?

Logarithmic, exponential, and power transformations are all commonly used inverse transformations. These can be applied to variables that exhibit non-linear relationships.

5. When should inverse transformation be used?

Inverse transformation should be used when data is not normally distributed and regular transformation has been applied. It can also be used to interpret the effects of a transformation on a variable in regression analysis.