Rotation dynamics pulley concept confusion

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the linear acceleration of two masses suspended from a light string over a pulley with a uniform circular disc of mass M. The equations and attempted solutions provided involve different tensions and torque, but the correct equations are stated as m2.g-T2=m2.a, T1-m1g=m1.a, T2.R-T1.R=M.R^2.a/2, and alpha.R=a. The conversation ends with the assurance that any misunderstandings can be clarified upon request.
Clara Chung

Homework Statement

A light string is passed over a pulley and two masses m1 and m2 are suspended from the two free ends. The pulley is a uniform circular disc of mass M. Find the linear acceleration of the two masses. Friction may be neglected.

Homework Equations

I through center of the disc = MR^2 /2
The answer is a= (m2-m1)g / (m1+m2+M/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew 3 free body diagrams separately, and get T-m1g = m1a..(1)
m2g-T=m2a...(2)
1/2 MR^2 (a/R) = 2TR (2 tension acting both clockwise if I assume m2 is on the right hand side and it is heavier than m1) ...(3)
Plz point out what's wrong in each equation 1,2,3, thxxxx

Physics news on Phys.org
You are wrong in 2TR because the tension direction opposite and also the rope's tension isn't same in this equation. I will add true equations in few minutes

Likes Clara Chung
upload_2016-7-17_10-6-3.png

\begin{equation}
m_2.g-T_2=m_2.a
\end{equation}
\begin{equation}
T_1-m_1g=m_1.a
\end{equation}
If i use torque
\begin{equation}
T_2.R-T_1.R=M.R^2.\alpha\div{2}
\end{equation}
\begin{equation}
\alpha.R=a
\end{equation}
If there is misunderstanding in your mind, you will ask me.

Likes Clara Chung
Safakphysics said:
View attachment 103345
\begin{equation}
m_2.g-T_2=m_2.a
\end{equation}
\begin{equation}
T_1-m_1g=m_1.a
\end{equation}
If i use torque
\begin{equation}
T_2.R-T_1.R=M.R^2.\alpha\div{2}
\end{equation}
\begin{equation}
\alpha.R=a
\end{equation}
If there is misunderstanding in your mind, you will ask me.

Thank you. I got it.

You are welcome

Related to Rotation dynamics pulley concept confusion

1. What is the concept of rotation dynamics with regards to a pulley?

The concept of rotation dynamics in relation to a pulley involves understanding the forces and motion involved in the rotation of the pulley and the objects attached to it. It is a fundamental concept in mechanics that helps explain the behavior and equilibrium of systems involving pulleys.

2. How does the pulley affect the rotation of the attached objects?

The pulley acts as a point of contact between the stationary and moving parts of the system. It changes the direction of the force and can also change the magnitude of the force, depending on the type of pulley used. In general, the pulley helps to distribute and balance the forces involved in the rotation of the objects.

3. What are the different types of pulleys and how do they differ in terms of rotation dynamics?

There are three main types of pulleys: fixed, movable, and compound. Fixed pulleys do not change the direction or magnitude of the force and are used to change the direction of the force. Movable pulleys have a movable axle and can change the direction and magnitude of the force. Compound pulleys combine multiple pulleys to increase the mechanical advantage, making it easier to lift heavy objects.

4. How do I calculate the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system is calculated by dividing the output force (the force applied to the object being lifted) by the input force (the force applied to the pulley). The number of ropes supporting the moving pulley also affects the mechanical advantage. The more ropes, the greater the mechanical advantage.

5. How can I use the concept of rotation dynamics to optimize a pulley system?

To optimize a pulley system, it is important to understand the forces at play and how they can be balanced and distributed. This includes choosing the right type of pulley, considering the number of ropes and their arrangement, and understanding the relationship between the input and output forces. By optimizing these factors, the efficiency and effectiveness of the pulley system can be improved.