Rotation matrix multiplied by matrix of column vectors?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of multiplying a rotation matrix by a matrix containing multiple column vectors in order to rotate each vector individually. This is possible as long as the number of columns in the matrix matches the number of rows in the rotation matrix. Matrix multiplication is defined for any mxn matrix multiplied by any nxk matrix.
aaddcc
Hey, let's say that in 2D space we have a 2x2 rotation matrix R. Normally you could multiply this rotation matrix by a 2x1 column matrix / vector X. In that case it would be XR to get the vector rotated in the way described by R. Now what I'm wondering is, what if I had 3 column vectors that I wanted to combine and multiply column-wise. Is there a mathematical way to describe having this new matrix and doing the operation on each column individually, then putting it back into the same type of matrix?

5sanU8q.png
As in I want to multiply X0, X1, X2, individually by R but describe it in a simple way. I don't think I can say XR in this case... can I?

Physics news on Phys.org
in my notation i think you meant RX for X rotated by R. Then RZ, where Z is a matrix of any number of columns, is a matrix whose columns are the result of rotating all those columns by R.

Sorry, you are right I meant RX. Are you saying that if I have multiple vectors in one matrix, where each column is a vector, I can just multiply the rotation matrix by that matrix to rotate each individual vector? Or is there another way I'd need to do this?

i don't understand. are you asking me to repeat my statement? couldn't you just read it again?

Well it doesn't really make sense to me, because you are basically saying I can multiply a 2x2 matrix by a 2xn matrix which I don't think is possible for n>2? In my case I have a 2x3 matrix, i.e. 3 column vectors and a 2x2 rotation matrix

ok, in matrix multiplication AB you dot the rows of the left matrix A by the columns of the right matrix B. so a 2x2 matrix A can be multiplied by any matrix B with 2 rows, i.e. any 2xn matrix. do you agree?

in general, matrix multiplication is defined for any mxn matrix times any nxk matrix. i think i got this right. what do you think?

Related to Rotation matrix multiplied by matrix of column vectors?

1. What is a rotation matrix?

A rotation matrix is a square matrix that is used to perform rotations in a coordinate system. It is typically represented by a 3x3 matrix and is used to rotate objects in 3D space.

2. How is a rotation matrix multiplied by a matrix of column vectors?

To multiply a rotation matrix by a matrix of column vectors, each column vector is transformed by the rotation matrix. This is done by multiplying the rotation matrix by each column vector and then arranging the results into a new matrix.

3. What is the purpose of multiplying a rotation matrix by a matrix of column vectors?

The purpose of multiplying a rotation matrix by a matrix of column vectors is to rotate the vectors in 3D space. This is useful in computer graphics, robotics, and other fields where rotations need to be performed.

4. What is the result of multiplying a rotation matrix by a matrix of column vectors?

The result of multiplying a rotation matrix by a matrix of column vectors is a new matrix with the same number of rows as the original matrix and the same number of columns as the rotation matrix. This new matrix represents the rotated vectors.

5. What happens if the rotation matrix is multiplied by a non-square matrix of column vectors?

If the rotation matrix is multiplied by a non-square matrix of column vectors, the resulting matrix will have a different number of rows and columns than the original matrix. This will result in a different transformation, which may not be a rotation.