Rotation of a uniform rigid disc about a fixed smooth axis

In summary, the disc rotates about a vertical axis and has a moment of inertia of (3/2)M(2a)2. When the disc is released from rest, the force acting on the axis is perpendicular to the disc and is 3 times the moment of inertia.
Zatman

Homework Statement

A uniform circular disc has mass M and diameter AB of length 4a. The disc rotates in a vertical plane about a fixed smooth axis perpendicular to the disc through the point D of AB where AD=a. The disc is released from rest with AB horizontal. (See attached diagram)

(a) Calculate the component parallel to AB of the force on the axis when AB makes an angle θ with the downward vertical.

(b) Calculate the component perpendicular to AB of the force on the axis when AB makes an angle θ with the downward vertical

Homework Equations

KE = (1/2)Iω2
I of a disc about axis perpendicular to disc through centre is (1/2)mr2
Transverse component of acc. = r(dω/dt)
Radial component of acc. = rω2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done (a) okay with no problems and got the correct answer. I used a similar approach for part (b) but got the incorrect answer. For part (b):

The moment of inertia is (1/2)M(2a)2 + Ma2 = 3Ma2
(using the parallel axis theorem).

Using conservation of energy:

(1/2)(3Ma22 = Mgacosθ
(3/2)aω2 = gcosθ

Differentiating w.r.t. θ gives:

3aω(dω/dθ) = -gsinθ
3aω(dω/dt)(dt/dθ) = -gsinθ
(dω/dt) = -(g/3a)sinθ *

Resolving forces: Mgsinθ - Y = Ma(dω/dt)

Substituting in *: Mgsinθ - Y = -(Mag/3a)sinθ

Y = Mgsinθ + (1/3)Mgsinθ = (4/3)Mgsinθ

The answer is supposed to be (2/3)Mgsinθ. I can't see what I have done wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• diagram.png
    diagram.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 478
Physics news on Phys.org

I don't like what I see here. You have the angular acceleration, not the linear acceleration.
Maybe rather use

[itex]\tau[/itex] = I [itex]\alpha[/itex] ?

I don't understand what is wrong with resolving forces, I have used the transverse component of acceleration for circular motion which is radius*(dω/dt) and the forces acting on the disc which are parallel to that acceleration vector (as in the diagram)?

However if I use τ = I(dω/dt) = 3Ma2(dω/dt)

aMgsinθ = 3Ma2(dω/dt)
gsinθ = 3a(dω/dt)
(dω/dt) = (g/3a)sinθ

Before, I got the negative of this - if I substitute this into my force equation however I do get the correct answer of (2/3)Mgsinθ.

But you said that that equation is wrong - how else can I get an expression involving Y though?

Ok, Y does not have a torque.
Then rather try using the tangential acceleration in your equation:
You can see that this equation of yours is dimensionally wrong.

Why?

LHS: (kg*m*s-2) - (N) = N
RHS: kg*m*(s-1)(s-1) = kgms-2 = N

Sorry, yes, you did use the transverse component of the acceleration.
You could setup

[itex]\sum \tau[/itex] = I [itex]\alpha[/itex]

about another point along AB.

Last edited:
I believe the radian is not included in dimensional analysis.

For example in τ = Iα, if you include the radian you would have:

LHS = Nm
RHS = kg*m2*rad*s-2 = (kg*m*s-2)*m*rad = Nm*rad

so you must ignore the 'unit' radian.

Yes, I edited my previous post.

Zatman said:
Because of the way theta is measured, dω/dt is the acceleration anticlockwise (in your diagram). So the above equation should read Y - Mgsinθ = Ma(dω/dt).

Oh, and by the same logic for τ = Iα,

aMgsinθ = -3Ma2(dω/dt)

which, along with the force equation, gives the correct answer.

Thank you for your help!

Related to Rotation of a uniform rigid disc about a fixed smooth axis

What is the definition of rotation of a uniform rigid disc about a fixed smooth axis?

Rotation of a uniform rigid disc about a fixed smooth axis is a type of rotational motion in which a disc spins around a fixed axis without any change in its shape or size. This type of rotation is also known as pure rotation.

What is the axis of rotation in a uniform rigid disc?

The axis of rotation in a uniform rigid disc is an imaginary line passing through the center of the disc and perpendicular to its surface. This axis remains fixed and does not move during the rotation of the disc.

What is the difference between uniform and non-uniform rotation of a disc?

The main difference between uniform and non-uniform rotation of a disc is that in uniform rotation, all points on the disc have the same angular velocity (rate of rotation), whereas in non-uniform rotation, the angular velocity varies for different points on the disc.

How does the moment of inertia affect the rotation of a uniform rigid disc?

The moment of inertia, which is a measure of the disc's resistance to rotational motion, affects the rotation of a uniform rigid disc. A larger moment of inertia will result in a slower rotation, and a smaller moment of inertia will result in a faster rotation.

What are some real-life examples of rotation of a uniform rigid disc about a fixed smooth axis?

Some common real-life examples of rotation of a uniform rigid disc about a fixed smooth axis include spinning tops, wheels on a moving vehicle, and rotating fans. This type of rotation is also seen in many mechanical systems, such as gears and turbines.