Rotation - Quickies Homework Statement Solutions

• Thread starter cupid.callin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotation
In summary, the conversation covers various topics related to rotational motion, including moment of inertia, angular momentum, and torque. The participants discuss specific problems and equations, providing explanations and clarifications to each other. They also bring up the concept of frame of reference and how it affects the direction of velocity in certain situations. Overall, the conversation demonstrates a good understanding of the principles of rotational motion.
cupid.callin

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=33246&stc=1&d=1300498213.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess no. coz considering anybody from a point inside or not it ... its in pure rotation and for a point outside it ... it wil have both translational and rotational motion

i don't know what they are asking .. if question is that can we write
A/a = v/w as (A+a) / (A-a) = (v+w) / (v-w) they yes. but won't that be a maths question

Dont know ... some help please

Dont know this either. yes i think that net torque will be zero but don't know how the it becomes horizontal

My attempt:
attachment.php?attachmentid=33247&stc=1&d=1300498213.jpg

I (moment of inertia) along BY is less .. so kinetic energy along BY is less and thus its easier to rotate along BY

If ice melts ... radius increase ... as angular momentum is constant, I inc. and thus w dec ... so length of day-night inc
right?

I guess solid sphere ... not just guess but worked out something ... someone just tell me if I'm correct on this or not.
if not, i'll try it again

I thought there will be as ...
attachment.php?attachmentid=33248&stc=1&d=1300499702.png

for vertical velocity, wr sinθ = v
but what now ?
if i consider pure rolling so
v sinθ = v
θ = 90
but that particle has zero velocity not normal ... :(

Attachments

• Rotation Quickies.jpg
    Rotation Quickies.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 445
  • Ans 5.jpg
    Ans 5.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 564
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 406
Physics news on Phys.org
cupid.callin said:
I guess no. coz considering anybody from a point inside or not it ... its in pure rotation and for a point outside it ... it wil have both translational and rotational motion
I agree.
i don't know what they are asking .. if question is that can we write
A/a = v/w as (A+a) / (A-a) = (v+w) / (v-w) they yes. but won't that be a maths question
Think about the units of the things that are added together.
Don't know ... some help please
I'd have to work out some details.
I do know this: It's more dangerous if the ladder slips when you're near the top!

Don't know this either. yes i think that net torque will be zero but don't know how the it becomes horizontal
I would have to see a sketch of the balance.
My attempt:
I (moment of inertia) along BY is less .. so kinetic energy along BY is less and thus its easier to rotate along BY
Yes. The moment of inertia about point B is less than that about point A.

If ice melts ... radius increase ... as angular momentum is constant, I inc. and thus w dec ... so length of day-night inc
right? Correct!

I guess solid sphere ... not just guess but worked out something ... someone just tell me if I'm correct on this or not.
if not, I'll try it again
Correct again. For a given radius and a given mass, the moment of inertia is least for the sphere.
If you do a detailed calculation of the acceleration the C.M. of each, both the radius and mass cancel out - much like mass cancels out for acceleration due to gravity.

I thought there will be as ...
attachment.php?attachmentid=33248&stc=1&d=1300499702.png

for vertical velocity, wr sinθ = v
but what now ?
if i consider pure rolling so
v sinθ = v
θ = 90
but that particle has zero velocity not normal ... :(
Assuming the frame of reference is the surface, then you are correct again. The instantaneous acceleration of the point of contact is vertical. As any point on the sphere approaches the surface, its velocity approaches the vertical, but (as I think you noticed) as that point comes in contact with the surface, its velocity becomes zero. A zero vector has indeterminate direction.

On the other hand: If the frame of reference has the same velocity as the C.M. of the sphere, then any point at the same height as the center of the sphere (except along the axis of rotation) is moving vertically for an instant.
See comments above in red.

Thanks A lot for your reply Sammy

I really thought that after seeing so many questions, no one will reply ...

Thanks a lot :)

Think about the units of the things that are added together.
i didn't noticed that :redface:
now i think its wrong ... we can't write it like that. :biggrin:

I do know this: It's more dangerous if the ladder slips when you're near the top!
I guessed same coz it has happened with me :smile:
but i can't figure out why.

I would have to see a sketch of the balance.
here's the sketch:
balance-scale-redone.jpg

the horizontal bar holding 2 pans is hinged along a horizontal axis (perpendicular to the screen) ... so that it can rotate in vertical plane#8
Assuming the frame of reference is the surface, then you are correct again. The instantaneous acceleration of the point of contact is vertical. As any point on the sphere approaches the surface, its velocity approaches the vertical, but (as I think you noticed) as that point comes in contact with the surface, its velocity becomes zero. A zero vector has indeterminate direction.

On the other hand: If the frame of reference has the same velocity as the C.M. of the sphere, then any point at the same height as the center of the sphere (except along the axis of rotation) is moving vertically for an instant.

But will it be okay to take frame as CM?

and one more question,
what about rolling with slipping?
will velocity be vertical in that case?

FAQ: Rotation - Quickies Homework Statement Solutions

1. What is rotation in physics?

Rotation in physics refers to the circular or spinning motion of an object around a fixed point or axis. It is a fundamental concept in classical mechanics and is described using principles such as torque, angular velocity, and angular acceleration.

2. How is rotational motion different from linear motion?

Rotational motion involves movement around a fixed point or axis, while linear motion involves movement in a straight line. In rotational motion, objects rotate about a point, whereas in linear motion, objects move from one point to another in a straight line.

3. What is the difference between angular velocity and angular acceleration?

Angular velocity is a vector quantity that describes the rate of change of an object's angular displacement with respect to time. On the other hand, angular acceleration is the rate of change of an object's angular velocity with respect to time. In simpler terms, angular velocity is how fast an object is rotating, while angular acceleration is how quickly an object's angular velocity is changing.

4. How are torque and angular momentum related?

Torque is a force that causes rotational motion, while angular momentum is the measure of an object's tendency to continue rotating. They are related through the equation τ = Iα, where τ represents torque, I represents moment of inertia, and α represents angular acceleration.

5. How is rotational motion applied in real-life situations?

Rotational motion is applied in various real-life situations, such as the rotation of the Earth on its axis, the spinning of a bicycle wheel, the motion of a Ferris wheel, and the rotation of a figure skater during a spin. It is also used in engineering and technology, such as in the design of gears and turbines.