How Is Voltage Induced in a Rotating Coil Within a Magnetic Field?

In summary, a circular coil with radius 10 cm and 25 turns rotates in a constant magnetic field of strength 2.4 T with an axis perpendicular to the field. If the coil rotates at a frequency of 50 Hz, the induced peak voltage is 592.177 V. The time-dependence of the induced voltage is a sine wave. The direction of rotation for the coil depends on the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of q (traveling from left to right or right to left). The equations used to solve this problem are V = -N * [ dΦ / dT ], Φ = B * A * cosθ, and ω = 2π*f. The right-hand-rule and
bpaterni

Homework Statement

1.A circular coil, with radius of 10 cm, and 25 turns, rotates in a constant magnetic field of
strength 2.4 T, with the axis of rotation perpendicular to the direction of the magnetic
field.

A. If the coil rotates at a frequency of 50 Hz, what is the induced peak voltage?
B. Sketch the time-dependence of the induced voltage.
C. If the magnetic field that the coil is in points down the page, which direction does the coil rotate? Answer for both cases: (1) q traveling from left to right and (2) q traveling from right to left in the coil.

Homework Equations

V = -N * [ dΦ / dT ]
Φ = B * A * cosθ

V = -N * B * A * ω*sinθ
ω = 2π*f

The Attempt at a Solution

A. A = π*.1^2
.031416 m^2

ω = 2π*50
314.159 rad/s

peak voltage would occur when the coil is perpendicular to the magnetic field correct? So would I put π/2 in for sin(x) and get the following?
V = 25 * 2.4 * .031416 * 314.159*sin(π/2)
1.88496 * 314.159
592.177 V
B. If A is correct, then would the time-dependence of induced emf look like a sin wave?
C. I take it I'm supposed to use the right-hand-rule and Lenz's Law for this question, but I'm slightly confused as to how to go about doing so

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bump, I believe A and B are correct from what I understand, but I'm still having trouble with C.

I need help with this question too.

Yeah, I don't understand how to use the 50Hz to determine the peak voltage. I really hate this class! None of this was taught in the lesson or explained at any point. An explanation of the equations would be helpful. Please, anyone?

FAQ: How Is Voltage Induced in a Rotating Coil Within a Magnetic Field?

1. What is rotational coil induction?

Rotational coil induction is a process in which an electrical current is induced in a coil of wire by rotating it through a magnetic field. This is based on the principle of electromagnetic induction, where a changing magnetic field can create an electrical current in a conductor.

2. How does rotational coil induction work?

Rotational coil induction works by rotating a coil of wire through a magnetic field, which causes a change in the magnetic flux passing through the coil. This change in flux induces an electrical current in the coil, which can then be used to power devices or perform work.

3. What are some applications of rotational coil induction?

Rotational coil induction has many applications, including powering electric motors in appliances and vehicles, generating electricity in power plants, and charging devices wirelessly. It is also commonly used in induction cooktops to heat pots and pans.

4. What are the advantages of using rotational coil induction?

One of the main advantages of rotational coil induction is that it does not require physical contact between the coil and the magnetic field, making it a more efficient and reliable method of energy transfer. It also eliminates the need for moving parts, reducing maintenance and increasing durability.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to rotational coil induction?

One limitation of rotational coil induction is that it requires a constant source of rotational motion to generate electricity, which may not be practical in all situations. Additionally, the efficiency of rotational coil induction decreases with distance, so it is not suitable for long-range power transmission.