Rotational Dynamics and string Tension

In summary, the hanging mass falls a distance of 54cm in 3.0s, due to the tension in the light string. The mass of the cylinder is 0.3kg.
Juniper7

Homework Statement

A light string is wrapped around a solid cylinder and a 300g mass hangs from the free end of the string. when released, the mass falls a distance of 54cm in 3.0s.
a) Calculate the tension in the string.
b) Calculate the mass of the cylinder.

Homework Equations

y=y0 + v0t + 1/2at^2
I=mr^2
α=a/r
T-mg=ma
F=ma
τ=Iα
τ=rF

The Attempt at a Solution

a) y=y0 + v0t + 1/2at^2
0.54m = (0.5)a(3s^2)
a=0.12m/s^2

T-mg=ma
T-(0.3kg)(9.8m/s^2) = (0.3kg)(0.12m/s^2)
T=2.979N

b) τ=Iα
τ=mr^2α
Fr=mr^2α
F=mrα

I'm not sure if that's right for a), I feel like I'm missing something... :frown:
I'm very confused for b). I have been playing around with the equations, as you can see above, but I keep going in circles and I feel like I don't have enough information. Thanks in advanced for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Juniper7 said:

Homework Statement

A light string is wrapped around a solid cylinder and a 300g mass hangs from the free end of the string. when released, the mass falls a distance of 54cm in 3.0s.
a) Calculate the tension in the string.
b) Calculate the mass of the cylinder.

Homework Equations

y=y0 + v0t + 1/2at^2
I=mr^2
α=a/r
T-mg=ma
F=ma
τ=Iα
τ=rF

The Attempt at a Solution

a) y=y0 + v0t + 1/2at^2
0.54m = (0.5)a(3s^2)
a=0.12m/s^2

T-mg=ma
T-(0.3kg)(9.8m/s^2) = (0.3kg)(0.12m/s^2)
T=2.979N

b) τ=Iα
τ=mr^2α
Fr=mr^2α
F=mrα

I'm not sure if that's right for a), I feel like I'm missing something... :frown:
I'm very confused for b). I have been playing around with the equations, as you can see above, but I keep going in circles and I feel like I don't have enough information. Thanks in advanced for any help!
Hello Juniper7. Welcome to PF !

First of all, there is at least one missing detail. Is the cylinder free to rotate on its axis ?

The form of the moment of inertial you have, I = mr2 is for a hollow cylinder, not a solid one.

You use both F and T, somewhat interchangeably.

Draw 2 free body diagrams; one for the hanging mass, and one for the cylinder?

Doing these things should help take the guesswork out of what equations to employ.

Oh, ok. I think I have it now. The cylinder is freely rotating. Thanks!

FAQ: Rotational Dynamics and string Tension

1. What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is the study of the motion and behavior of objects that are rotating around a fixed point or axis. It involves the application of Newton's laws of motion and other principles to understand the forces and torques acting on an object in rotational motion.

2. How is rotational dynamics related to string tension?

In rotational dynamics, string tension refers to the force exerted by a string or rope on an object attached to it, causing it to rotate around a fixed axis. The magnitude of the string tension depends on the mass of the object, the angular velocity, and the radius of rotation.

3. What factors affect string tension in rotational dynamics?

The string tension in rotational dynamics is affected by multiple factors, including the mass and velocity of the object, the radius of rotation, and the angle of the string with the horizontal. Other factors such as air resistance and friction may also play a role in determining the string tension.

4. How is string tension calculated in rotational dynamics?

To calculate string tension in rotational dynamics, we can use the formula T = mω^2r, where T is the string tension, m is the mass of the object, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of rotation. This formula is derived from Newton's second law of motion, F = ma, where F is the net force acting on the object in rotational motion.

5. What are some real-life examples of rotational dynamics and string tension?

Rotational dynamics and string tension can be observed in various real-life situations, such as a pendulum swinging, a spinning top, a yo-yo in motion, or a Ferris wheel. Other examples include the rotation of planets and galaxies, the motion of a spinning football or frisbee, and the movement of a gymnast on the uneven bars or rings.