Rotational Dynamics involving a pulley, spring, and block

But thanks so much for replying!In summary, the problem involves a block of mass m = 9.00 kg on an incline with an angle of θ = 51.0^{\circ} and a coefficient of kinetic friction µ_k = 0.200, connected to a light spring of constant k = 40.0 N/m via a light rope over a massive pulley. The block is released from rest when the spring is unstretched. The pulley, with a radius of R = 0.550 m and the same mass as the block, is mounted on a frictionless axle. The rope connecting the spring to the block slides without slipping. The problem asks for the acceleration of the block at
JennV

Homework Statement

A block of mass m = 9.00 kg is situated on an incline of angle θ = 51.0^{\circ} with coefficient of kinetic friction \mu_k = 0.200, and is connected to a light spring of spring constant k = 40.0 N/m via a light rope passing over a massive pulley as shown. The block is released from rest when the spring is unstretched. The uniform solid cylindrical pulley is mounted on a frictionless axle and has the same mass as the block and a radius R = 0.550 m. The light rope which connects the spring to the block slides over the pulley without slipping.

Find the acceleration of the block at the instant it has slid a distance of x = 0.425 m parallel to the incline. (Take the positive direction to be down the incline.)

Diagram:
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/8755/ch11qrotdyn.jpg

Homework Equations

mgsin(theta)
uk*mgcos(theta)
ma
0.5*Kx^2
Solid uniform cylinder moment of inertia = 0.5*MR^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew free body diagrams for each objects. & derived a equation to solve for acceleration:

m(block)gsin(theta)-ukm(block)gcos(theta)-0.5*kx^2 = 0.5m(pulley)a + m(block)a

But the acceleration that I got was really high, so I believe that it is wrong.

My question is: does the tension of the string between the spring and pulley proportional to the extension of the spring which is 0.5kx^2 ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi JennV! :smile:

(have a mu: µ and a theta: θ and try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)
JennV said:
m(block)gsin(theta)-ukm(block)gcos(theta)-0.5*kx^2 = 0.5m(pulley)a + m(block)a

nooo …

i] the force from the spring is kx, not kx2/2 (that's the PE)

ii] the pulley isn't moving, it's only rotating, so you can't use the mass …

you either need the "effective mass" (if you know how to work that out),

or you need to call the tension either side of the pulley T1 and T2, and do two separate equations, F = ma for the block, and τ =Iα for the pulley …

what do you get? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi JennV! :smile:

(have a mu: µ and a theta: θ and try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)

nooo …

i] the force from the spring is kx, not kx2/2 (that's the PE)

ii] the pulley isn't moving, it's only rotating, so you can't use the mass …

you either need the "effective mass" (if you know how to work that out),

or you need to call the tension either side of the pulley T1 and T2, and do two separate equations, F = ma for the block, and τ =Iα for the pulley …

what do you get? :smile:

Thank you so much tiny-tim for replying! But I actually already have derived the answer myself and it was 3.00! YAY! =D

FAQ: Rotational Dynamics involving a pulley, spring, and block

1. How does rotational dynamics apply to a system involving a pulley, spring, and block?

Rotational dynamics is the study of the motion of objects that are rotating around a fixed axis. In a system involving a pulley, spring, and block, the pulley acts as the fixed axis, while the block and spring rotate around it. Therefore, rotational dynamics can be applied to analyze the motion and forces acting on these objects.

2. What is the role of the pulley in rotational dynamics involving a pulley, spring, and block?

The pulley acts as the pivot point or fixed axis in a system involving a pulley, spring, and block. It allows the block and spring to rotate around it, and also changes the direction of the force applied by the spring.

3. How does the spring affect the rotational dynamics of the system?

The spring is responsible for providing a restoring force that causes the block to rotate around the pulley. The force applied by the spring also changes direction as the block rotates, which affects the dynamics of the system.

4. What is the relationship between the tension in the string and the rotational dynamics of the system?

The tension in the string is directly related to the rotational dynamics of the system. As the spring pulls on the string, it creates tension in the string, which in turn affects the motion and forces acting on the block and spring.

5. How can the equations of rotational dynamics be used to analyze a system involving a pulley, spring, and block?

The equations of rotational dynamics, such as torque, angular velocity, and angular acceleration, can be used to analyze a system involving a pulley, spring, and block. These equations allow us to calculate the forces and motion of the objects in the system, and understand how they are affected by each other.

Back