Rotational Dynamics / Moment of Inertia Question

In summary, the distance between the two oxygen atoms in an oxygen molecule can be estimated by taking the moment of inertia and dividing it by the sum of the masses of the two atoms, then taking the square root of that value. The effective distance between the atoms is approximately twice the value of the radius used in the formula for moment of inertia.
Arcarius

Homework Statement

An oxygen molecule consists of two oxygen atoms whose total mass is 5.3x10^-26 kg and whose moment of inertia about an axis perpendicular to the line joining the two atoms, midway between them, is 1.9 x 10^-46 kg*m^2. From this data, estimate the effective distance between the atoms.

Homework Equations

## I = M1R^2 + M2R^2 ##

The Attempt at a Solution

I = (M1+M2)R^2
1.9 x 10^-46 kg*m^2 = (5.3 x 10^-26kg)R^2
R = 5.99 x 10^-11 m

Although I got that this is the radius, this is not the answer to the problem. I'm not exactly sure what I did wrong, as it seems right to me. Could anyone check my work? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Geometrically, what do you mean by "radius" here? How does this radius relate to the distance between the atoms?

Likes 1 person
TSny said:
Geometrically, what do you mean by "radius" here. How does this radius relate to the distance between the atoms?

OH. Ugh, stupid mistake on my part! I used trig and got D to be 1.20 x 10^-10 m.
Thanks!

trig? How?

a209f0bb1bd1fb3d67d28f80a53a8df9.png

This is the diagram I drew, and you get that D/2 = sqrt(R^2 - I^2).
I then just solved for D, and it actually turned out to be approximately 2R.

Hmm. I imagine an oxygen molecule as being a little "dumbbell". What is "I" in your drawing?

Attachments

• Oxygen.png
    Oxygen.png
    710 bytes · Views: 917
TSny said:
Hmm. I imagine an oxygen molecule as being a little "dumbbell". What is "I" in your drawing?

I had I as the Moment of Inertia.

When you wrote the equation D/2 = sqrt(R^2 - I^2), does "I" represent moment of inertia? If so, do you see a problem with that? Note that I is not a distance, and therefore cannot be used as one side of a right triangle.

TSny said:
When you wrote the equation D/2 = sqrt(R^2 - I^2), does "I" represent moment of inertia? If so, do you see a problem with that? Note that I is not a distance, and therefore cannot be used as one side of a right triangle.

Hmm, I see what you mean. I seem to have confused the moment of Inertia with the Moment Arm. In that case, I'm not sure how to use the information I have to get an answer :/

What is the meaning of the ##\small R\:##'s in the formula ##\small I = m_1R_1^2 + m_2R^2## for the moment of inertia? Would you be able to label ##\small R_1## and ##\small R_2## in the figure of the oxygen molecule that I posted earlier?

TSny said:
What is the meaning of the ##\small R\:##'s in the formula ##\small I = m_1R_1^2 + m_2R^2## for the moment of inertia? Would you be able to label ##\small R_1## and ##\small R_2## in the figure of the oxygen molecule that I posted earlier?

Ohhh I see. So it is 2R, I was just lucky that the numbers worked out when I did it my way.

Related to Rotational Dynamics / Moment of Inertia Question

1. What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects that rotate or spin around an axis. It involves concepts such as torque, angular velocity, and angular acceleration.

2. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia, also known as rotational inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the mass distribution of the object and the axis of rotation.

3. How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia of an object can be calculated by summing up the products of each small element's mass and its distance from the axis of rotation squared. It is expressed as kg·m² in the SI unit system.

4. How does the moment of inertia affect an object's rotational motion?

The moment of inertia determines how difficult it is to change an object's rotational motion. A larger moment of inertia means more torque is needed to produce the same angular acceleration, while a smaller moment of inertia means less torque is needed.

5. How is the concept of moment of inertia applied in real-life situations?

The concept of moment of inertia is applied in various real-life situations, such as designing vehicles and machines that need to rotate, calculating the stability of structures like bridges and buildings, and understanding the motion of celestial bodies like planets and stars.