Rotational Dynamics: Net Torques

In summary, the conversation discusses balancing torques and finding the acceleration of a block given the force and radius of two pulleys. The correct solution involves taking into account the moment of inertia of the entire disk.
henryli78

Homework Statement

RotationalMotion_3.png

Answer: C

Note: Sorry admins for the picture, needed to include the diagram though.

Homework Equations

∑[itex]\tau[/itex] = I[itex]\alpha[/itex]
∑F = ma
a = [itex]\alpha[/itex]r

The Attempt at a Solution

The torques must be balanced (is this reasoning already wrong?), thus,
F*R1 = F_T*R2
F_T = FR1/R2
The only force acting on the block is the F_T, thus the acceleration is FR1/mR2

Why are the torques not balanced in this case? If not, how do I exactly relate the moment of inertia of the entire disk to fit into the entire problem? Thank you in advance for the help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi henryli78! :smile:
henryli78 said:
∑[itex]\tau[/itex] = I[itex]\alpha[/itex]

The torques must be balanced (is this reasoning already wrong?)

yes, the torques are balanced only if α = 0 :wink:

Thank you! I solved it.

I wrote out:
Net Torque = I*alpha = I*a/R2 = F*R1 - T*R2
T = ma, thus I*a/R2 = F*R1 - m*a*R2
I*a/R2 + m*a*R2 = F*R1
a(I/R2+mR2) = F*R1
a(I + mR2^2) = F*R1*R2
a = F*R1*R2/(I+mR2^2)

Thank you very much for the help :)

Related to Rotational Dynamics: Net Torques

1. What is rotational dynamics and how is it different from linear dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is the study of the motion of objects that rotate or spin around a fixed axis. It is different from linear dynamics, which deals with the motion of objects in a straight line. Rotational dynamics takes into account factors such as torque, angular velocity, and angular acceleration, while linear dynamics focuses on force, velocity, and acceleration.

2. What is net torque and how is it calculated?

Net torque is the overall rotational force acting on an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation at which the force is applied. Mathematically, it can be represented as: τ = F x r, where τ is the net torque, F is the force, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. How does the direction of the net torque affect the rotation of an object?

The direction of the net torque determines the direction of the rotational motion of an object. If the net torque is applied in a clockwise direction, the object will rotate clockwise, and if it is applied in a counterclockwise direction, the object will rotate counterclockwise. The magnitude of the net torque also determines the speed of rotation.

4. What factors affect the net torque on an object?

The net torque on an object is affected by several factors, including the magnitude and direction of the applied force, the distance from the axis of rotation at which the force is applied, and the mass and shape of the object. Additionally, the presence of other external forces, such as friction or air resistance, can also affect the net torque on an object.

5. How can rotational dynamics be applied in real-world situations?

Rotational dynamics is applied in many real-world situations, such as the motion of a spinning top, the rotation of a wheel on an axle, and the movement of a pendulum. It is also used in engineering and design to analyze and improve the performance of machines and mechanisms that involve rotational motion, such as engines, turbines, and gears.