Rotational Energy/Speed of a System?

In summary, the problem involves a solid sphere of mass 6.0 kg mounted on a vertical axis, a massless cord wrapped around the middle of the sphere and over a 1.0 kg pulley, and a block of mass 4.0 kg attached to the cord. Using equations for moment of inertia and kinetic energy, the speed of the block after falling 80 cm can be solved for by setting the potential energy of the block equal to the kinetic energy of the sphere, pulley, and block. The velocities used in the equations are relevant to the velocities of the cord at the points it contacts the sphere and pulley, and since the cord is attached to the block, the block and cord will have the same velocities
Juniper7

Homework Statement

A solid sphere of mass 6.0 kg is mounted on a vertical axis and can rotate freely without friction. A massless cord is wrapped around the middle of the sphere and passes over a 1.0 kg pulley and is attached to a block of mass 4.0kg. What is the speed of the block after it has fallen 80 cm? Treat the pulley as a sold cylinder.

Homework Equations

I of a solid cylinder = 1/2MR2
I of a sphere = 2/5MR2
KErotational = 1/2Iω2
KElinear = 1/2mv2
PE = mgh
ω = v/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I am very lost in this question. I have tried to calculate the kinetic energies of each part of the system but it doesn't give radii or ω so I get stuck. I thought this could be relevant:

KEsphere + KEpulley + KEblock

But what would I equate those energies to? Thank you in advance for any help!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-26 at 5.49.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-26 at 5.49.46 PM.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 607
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I may have worked through it but it doesn't seem right:

KEsphere = 1/2Iω2 = (1/2)(2/5mr22 = (1/5)(6kg)r2ω2
then substitue in ω = v/r and get KEsphere =(1.2)vsphere2

I did this for each the pulley and the block and got:

KEpulley = (1/4)vpulley2
KEblock = 2vblock2

Then I thought I could use this equation:

PEblock = KEsphere + KEpulley + KEblock

Because the sphere and pulley don't have potential energy, right?

mblockgh = (1.2)vsphere2 + (1/4)vpulley2 + 2vblock2

(4kg)(9.81m/s2)(0.8m) = 1.2v2 + 0.25v2 + 2v2
v = 3.0m/s

The part I'm really not sure about is the velocities of each part of the system. Will they all be the same? I assumed they are all the same to get my answer

Juniper7 said:

Homework Statement

A solid sphere of mass 6.0 kg is mounted on a vertical axis and can rotate freely without friction. A massless cord is wrapped around the middle of the sphere and passes over a 1.0 kg pulley and is attached to a block of mass 4.0kg. What is the speed of the block after it has fallen 80 cm? Treat the pulley as a sold cylinder.

Homework Equations

I of a solid cylinder = 1/2MR2
I of a sphere = 2/5MR2
KErotational = 1/2Iω2
KElinear = 1/2mv2
PE = mgh
ω = v/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I am very lost in this question. I have tried to calculate the kinetic energies of each part of the system but it doesn't give radii or ω so I get stuck. I thought this could be relevant:

KEsphere + KEpulley + KEblock

But what would I equate those energies to? Thank you in advance for any help!
Of course, those are two different radii, and two different moments of inertia. -- Use subscripts or something similar.

The image is below.

I'll answer your 2nd post presently.

attachment.php?attachmentid=70071&d=1401150325.png

Juniper7 said:
I think I may have worked through it but it doesn't seem right:

KEsphere = 1/2Iω2 = (1/2)(2/5mr22 = (1/5)(6kg)r2ω2
then substitue in ω = v/r and get KEsphere =(1.2)vsphere2

I did this for each the pulley and the block and got:

KEpulley = (1/4)vpulley2
KEblock = 2vblock2

Then I thought I could use this equation:

PEblock = KEsphere + KEpulley + KEblock

Because the sphere and pulley don't have potential energy, right?

mblockgh = (1.2)vsphere2 + (1/4)vpulley2 + 2vblock2

(4kg)(9.81m/s2)(0.8m) = 1.2v2 + 0.25v2 + 2v2
v = 3.0m/s

The part I'm really not sure about is the velocities of each part of the system. Will they all be the same? I assumed they are all the same to get my answer
The sphere and pulley are stationary; they don't have velocity.

The only objects in this problem with linear velocity are the block and cord. The cord presumably doesn't slip on the surfaces of the pulley or the sphere.

What do you think the velocities you used are relevant to?

SammyS said:
The sphere and pulley are stationary; they don't have velocity.

The only objects in this problem with linear velocity are the block and cord. The cord presumably doesn't slip on the surfaces of the pulley or the sphere.

What do you think the velocities you used are relevant to?

Are the velocities relevant to the speed the sphere turns at and the speed the pulley turns at?

Juniper7 said:
Are the velocities relevant to the speed the sphere turns at and the speed the pulley turns at?

Those velocities are the velocities of the surfaces of the speed & pulley at the points they contact the cord. Thus they're the velocity of the cord, which happens to be fastened to the block. Right >\?

Oh ok. So because the cord is attached to the block, they should both have the same velocities?

Juniper7 said:
Oh ok. So because the cord is attached to the block, they should both have the same velocities?

Yes.

Thank you!

FAQ: Rotational Energy/Speed of a System?

What is rotational energy?

Rotational energy is the energy possessed by a system due to its rotational motion. It is a form of kinetic energy and is dependent on the mass, radius, and angular velocity of the rotating object.

How is rotational energy calculated?

Rotational energy can be calculated using the formula E=1/2Iω², where E is the rotational energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity of the rotating object.

What is the relationship between rotational energy and speed?

There is a direct relationship between rotational energy and speed. As the speed of rotation increases, the rotational energy also increases. This is because the increased speed means the object is covering more distance in a shorter amount of time, resulting in a higher amount of kinetic energy.

What factors affect the rotational energy of a system?

The rotational energy of a system is affected by the mass, radius, and angular velocity of the rotating object. The moment of inertia, which is the measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, also plays a role in determining the amount of rotational energy in a system.

How does rotational energy differ from linear energy?

Rotational energy is a type of kinetic energy that is associated with the rotational motion of an object, while linear energy is associated with the linear motion of an object. Rotational energy is dependent on the moment of inertia, while linear energy is dependent on the mass and velocity of an object.

Back