Rotational Inertia of a Ball-Rod system

In summary: Thanks for your help!In summary, a cylindrical rod with a mass of 0.919 kg and radius of 1.54 cm is attached to an 8.89 kg ball with a diameter of 11.3 cm. The system is initially vertical with the ball at the top, free to pivot about the other end. After falling a quarter turn, the rotational kinetic energy can be calculated using the equation K=.5Iw^2. The moment of inertia of the system can be found using the equation I=1/3mL^2+2/5mR^2 + MD, where M is the mass of the sphere and D is the distance from the center of the sphere to the end of
Dtails

Homework Statement

A cylindrical rod 32.2 cm long has mass
0.919 kg and radius 1.54 cm. A 8.89 kg
ball of diameter 11.3 cm is attached to one
end. The arrangement is originally vertical
with the ball at the top and is free to pivot
about the other end.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .
After the ball-rod system falls a quarter
turn, what is its rotational kinetic energy?
Answer in units of J.
At the same point, what is its angular speed?

Homework Equations

K=.5Iw^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I=1/3mL^2+2/5mR^2Alright, I'm on the second part of the problem, having gotten the energy part. I cannot, however, for the stupid life of me, define this Ball-Rod system's moment of inertia in a fashion that gets me a reasonable answer. I'm wondering if I'm just missing something. If somebody could help me see it I can get the rest no problem.

I also set it up in a way that it was just the rod with a big mass on the end of it, and that failed miserably. And I searched the forum for a similar problem, but the guy doing it had already found moment of inertia and didn't want to share.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I=1/3mL^2+2/5mR^2

Welcome to PF.

Isn't the sphere a point mass at the end of the rotating rod? It is not actually rotating about the center of the sphere is it?

Won't its distance be at 43.5 cm?

Sorry, but I got it. I believe the solution I used was 1/3mL^2+2/5mR^2 + MD where M is mass of the sphere and D is the distance from it to the center of the sphere. It does seem counter intuitive, but the way the system's set up is that it APPEARS the sphere is rotating as its moving with the rod. If you hold a ball and put a big X on the side facing you, and then move it in a way that its face never changes direction, when it's to another side, it has 'rotated' away from you.

The concept's very abstract and I don't even see the validity in it, but the equation worked on a hunch. Blarg.

FAQ: Rotational Inertia of a Ball-Rod system

What is rotational inertia and how is it related to a ball-rod system?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. In a ball-rod system, the rotational inertia is the sum of the individual inertias of the ball and rod.

How is rotational inertia calculated for a ball-rod system?

The rotational inertia of a ball-rod system can be calculated using the formula I = mR2 + (1/3)mL2, where m is the mass of the ball, R is the radius of the ball, and L is the length of the rod.

Does the distribution of mass affect the rotational inertia of a ball-rod system?

Yes, the distribution of mass affects the rotational inertia of a ball-rod system. The farther the mass is from the axis of rotation, the larger the rotational inertia will be. This means that a ball-rod system with a more concentrated mass will have a smaller rotational inertia compared to one with a more spread out mass.

How does the length of the rod affect the rotational inertia of a ball-rod system?

The length of the rod has a direct effect on the rotational inertia of a ball-rod system. As the length of the rod increases, the rotational inertia also increases. This is because the longer the rod, the more mass is distributed farther from the axis of rotation.

What are some real-life applications of understanding rotational inertia in a ball-rod system?

Understanding rotational inertia in a ball-rod system is important in various fields such as physics, engineering, and sports. It is used in designing objects with proper balance and stability, such as a spinning top or a bicycle wheel. In sports, athletes utilize rotational inertia in activities like gymnastics, figure skating, and diving to perform complex movements with control and precision.