Rotational Inertia of Disk2: 16I or 8I?

In summary, the rotational inertia of Disk2, which has a radius of 2R and a mass of 4M, is 16 times the rotational inertia of Disk1, which has a radius of R and a mass of M. This can be calculated by using the formula I = m * r^2 and considering that the density of both disks is equal. The rotational inertia of Disk1 is (1/2) * M * R^2 and the rotational inertia of Disk2 is (1/2) * (4M) * (2R)^2, resulting in a ratio of 16:1.
The_Journey

Homework Statement

There are two uniform disks. Disk 1 has radius of R, a rotational inertia of I. Disk 2 has radius of 2R, what is the rotational inertia of Disk2 in term of I? The disks are rotating about their center axis.

Homework Equations

I = m * r ^ 2
Density = Mass / Area

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using density because the two disks are uniform so their densities must equal. But I don't have the mass for both of the disks so I just call mass of Disk1 to be M. So Disk1 density is:
M / (pi * R^2). Setting it equal to xM / (4 * pi * R ^ 2) and solve for x.

So mass of Disk2 is 4M, which is 4 times the mass of Disk1. I is the rotational inertia of Disk1 so it must be this:

I = (1/2) * M * R ^ 2.

Then the rotational inertia of Disk2, which has Radius of 2R and mass of 4M is:

I2 = (1/2) * (4M) * (2R)^2 = 8 * M * R ^ 2.

Dividing I2 by I gets me 16.

So the answer I think is 16I, the rotational inertia of Disk2 is 16 times the rotational inertia of Disk1, but this seems too high and my friend got 8I, so can anyone show me the correct way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your result is correct. Why do you think it is high?

ehild

I guess doubling the radius gets you 16 times the rotational inertia seems kinda crazy. Anyway thank you for verifying

Related to Rotational Inertia of Disk2: 16I or 8I?

1. What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a property of a rotating object that describes its resistance to changes in angular velocity.

2. How is rotational inertia calculated?

The rotational inertia of a disk can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the disk by the square of its radius and dividing by 2.

3. What is the difference between 16I and 8I?

The numbers 16I and 8I represent the rotational inertia of a disk. The value of 16I is twice the value of 8I, indicating that the disk with 16I has a greater resistance to changes in angular velocity compared to the disk with 8I.

4. How does the shape of a disk affect its rotational inertia?

The shape of a disk can affect its rotational inertia. For example, a disk with a larger radius will have a greater rotational inertia compared to a disk with a smaller radius, even if they have the same mass.

5. Why is rotational inertia important?

Rotational inertia is important because it helps determine how an object will respond to changes in its angular velocity. It also plays a role in the conservation of angular momentum, which is a fundamental principle in physics.

Back