Rotational Kinematics Problem - find the angular displacement

In summary, the propeller rotates at a constant angular speed for the first 1.4e3 seconds and then decelerates and slows down until it reaches its final angular speed of 4.0 rad/s.
grandprix

Homework Statement

The drive propeller of a ship starts from rest and accelerates at 2.90e-3 rad/s^2 for 2.1e3 seconds. For the nest 1.4e3 seconds, the propeller rotates at a constant angular speed. Then it decelerates at 2.3e-3 rad/s^2 until it slow (without reversing direction) to an angular speed of 4.0 rad/s. Find the total angular displacement of the propeller.

Homework Equations

a) w(t) = w0 + (alpha*time)

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically i used equation a) to solve for displacement for the first 2100 seconds, then for the next 1400 seconds I used equation a) and first found w0, and then plugged that value into theta= theta0+ w0*t +(1/2 alpha*time)

I took both these values and added them together.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi grandprix! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have an omega: ω and a theta: θ and an alpha: α and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
grandprix said:
The drive propeller of a ship starts from rest and accelerates at 2.90e-3 rad/s^2 for 2.1e3 seconds. For the nest 1.4e3 seconds, the propeller rotates at a constant angular speed. Then it decelerates at 2.3e-3 rad/s^2 until it slow (without reversing direction) to an angular speed of 4.0 rad/s. Find the total angular displacement of the propeller.

a) w(t) = w0 + (alpha*time)

Basically i used equation a) to solve for displacement for the first 2100 seconds, then for the next 1400 seconds I used equation a) and first found w0, and then plugged that value into theta= theta0+ w0*t +(1/2 alpha*time)

I took both these values and added them together.

You seem to have the equations the wrong way round …

(and anyway it should be theta= theta0+ w0*t +(1/2 alpha*time-squared) :wink:)

just use the standard constant acceleration equations in the usual way, but with θ ω and α instead of s v and a :smile:

oh thank you so much! I tried to make the solution a lot more complicated than it is i guess.. and thank you for letting me know about where to find all the proper notations!

Related to Rotational Kinematics Problem - find the angular displacement

1. What is rotational kinematics?

Rotational kinematics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects that rotate around an axis. It involves the study of angular displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

2. What is angular displacement?

Angular displacement is the change in the angle between an object and a reference axis. It is calculated by subtracting the initial angle from the final angle.

3. How is angular displacement measured?

Angular displacement is measured in radians or degrees. Radians are the preferred unit in rotational kinematics as they are directly related to the distance traveled along the circumference of a circle.

4. What is the formula for calculating angular displacement?

The formula for calculating angular displacement is θ = Δθ = θf - θi, where θ is the angular displacement, θf is the final angle, and θi is the initial angle.

5. How is rotational kinematics applied in real-life situations?

Rotational kinematics has various applications in real-life situations, such as studying the motion of objects on a merry-go-round, analyzing the movement of a spinning top, and understanding the behavior of a gyroscope. It is also used in industries such as aerospace, robotics, and automotive engineering.