Rotational Motion maximum acceleration

In summary, the truck can have a maximum acceleration of 8.34 m/s2 before the refrigerator begins to tip over.
physgrl

Homework Statement

7. A 130-kg refrigerator that is 2.30 m tall and 90.0 cm wide is being delivered by a truck. The center of gravity of the refrigerator is located at its geometrical center and the refrigerator is facing sideways in the truck and is prevented from sliding. What is the maximum acceleration that the truck can have before the refrigerator begins to tip over?

a. 4.17 m/s2

*b. 3.84 m/s2

c. 7.68 m/s2

d. 8.34 m/s2

Homework Equations

a=v2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea what to do. I thought that the radius should be the distance between the center of mass and the center of the fridge when it starts moving, but in this case the radius will change (but it doesn't matter cause we want the start of the motion). I also think that it has to do with force and torque and breaking the equilibrium, but I don't know.

Physics news on Phys.org
Solve the problem by summing moments at the edge that would remain on the ground (center of rotation). When the moment produced by the truck accelerating equals the moment due to the weight of the refrigerator, tipping (rotation) begins. Assume the weight of the appliance is concentrated at its CG. Assume the force due to truck acceleration is also applied at the CG.

How will i find the moments without the time :s

Moments are force times distance. It's just like torque. The frig will tip on one of its edges. The weight assumed concentrated at its CG creates a 'moment' in one direction of rotation. The acceleration of the truck provides another force at the CG. When that moment (torque) just equals the moment (torque) due to its weight, the frig starts to tip. Maybe the term moment is no longer used. It was when I came along.

Ohh i thought you ment momentum :s ups so ittl be lke
m*a*dx=m*g*dy
130*a*.9/2=130*9.81*2.3/2

Take a good look at this. You have a mistake.

I thought two things 1. That the acceleration should be 9.81*r and 2. That the distance is really 2.3/2 - .9/2 brcause it doesn't fall all the way

This torque balance has the 'a' and 9.81 switched around. The height of the frig is 2.3 meters. CG therefore is located at 2.3/2 meters from truck bed. When the truck accelerates, the mass of the frig creates a torque about the rear edge (assuming truck accelerates frontward) that equals force times radius (moment arm as I call it). The force is mass times acc. The moment arm is the distance from the truck bed to the CG.

The opposing torque is due to the weight of frig. It's radius (moment arm) is .9/2. Its force is 130 times 9.81.

Does this help?

Ohh i got it so its lke the truck is pushing the fridge through the cm but it is resisting with its weight

That's it.

:) thanks!

Related to Rotational Motion maximum acceleration

What is rotational motion maximum acceleration?

Rotational motion maximum acceleration refers to the maximum rate of change of angular velocity in a rotating object. It is the highest acceleration that can be achieved by the object before it reaches its maximum angular velocity.

How is rotational motion maximum acceleration calculated?

The rotational motion maximum acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time, or by multiplying the angular velocity by the angular frequency.

What factors affect rotational motion maximum acceleration?

The factors that affect rotational motion maximum acceleration include the moment of inertia of the object, the torque applied to the object, and the distribution of mass in the object.

What is the difference between rotational motion maximum acceleration and linear motion maximum acceleration?

Rotational motion maximum acceleration refers to the acceleration of an object in circular motion, while linear motion maximum acceleration refers to the acceleration of an object in a straight line. The calculations and factors affecting these accelerations are different.

Why is understanding rotational motion maximum acceleration important?

Understanding rotational motion maximum acceleration is important in many fields, including engineering, physics, and sports. It allows for the design and optimization of rotating systems, such as engines and turbines, and can also help predict the behavior of rotating objects in various situations.