Rotational Motion Problem - 11

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a spinning cylinder placed on a plank and the linear and angular acceleration it produces. The solution involves calculating the frictional force and using it to determine the linear and angular acceleration. The final answer is 2µg.
coldblood
Hi friends,
Please help me in solving this problem, I'll appreciate the help.

The problem is as:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/q71/s720x720/1503374_1461728057387633_909744247_n.jpg

Attempt -

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1506899_1461728417387597_658199054_n.jpg

Thank you all in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
a = Rα is for rolling contact.

haruspex said:
a = Rα is for rolling contact.

Yes But centre of mass of the sphere woild be going with Translational acceleration,
Whose value would come from the bottom point in contact using, a = rα
Isn't it?

coldblood said:
Yes But centre of mass of the sphere woild be going with Translational acceleration,
Whose value would come from the bottom point in contact using, a = rα
Isn't it?

No, as I said, that's only for rolling contact. When the spinning cylinder is placed on the plank it will skid at first. Suppose frictional force is F. What linear acceleration will that produce? What torque? What angular acceleration?

haruspex said:
No, as I said, that's only for rolling contact. When the spinning cylinder is placed on the plank it will skid at first. Suppose frictional force is F. What linear acceleration will that produce? What torque? What angular acceleration?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1506955_1462163254010780_1540770628_n.jpg

That's all correct, but what you are asked for is a. Your remaining step is to figure out what f is in terms of m, g and mu.

haruspex said:
That's all correct, but what you are asked for is a. Your remaining step is to figure out what f is in terms of m, g and mu.

Well, here a is f/m and f will be, μmg/m = µg(i)
and acceleration of plank would be µg(-i)

so acceleration of sphere w.r.t. plank would be 2µg.

Is that correct?

coldblood said:
Well, here a is f/m and f will be, μmg/m = µg(i)
and acceleration of plank would be µg(-i)

so acceleration of sphere w.r.t. plank would be 2µg.

Is that correct?
That's it. You didn't need to worry about the rotations at all!

Related to Rotational Motion Problem - 11

What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion refers to the movement of an object around an axis or center point. This type of motion can be seen in objects such as wheels, tops, and planets in orbit.

What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating around an axis. It is typically measured in radians per second and can be calculated by dividing the change in angle by the change in time.

How is torque related to rotational motion?

Torque is the measure of the ability of a force to cause rotational motion. It is directly proportional to the force applied and the distance from the force to the axis of rotation. The greater the torque, the greater the potential for rotational motion.

What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is dependent on the mass, shape, and distribution of the object's mass. Objects with a larger moment of inertia require more torque to achieve the same angular acceleration as objects with a smaller moment of inertia.

How is centripetal force related to rotational motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In rotational motion, this force acts towards the center of the circle and is necessary to maintain the object's circular motion. This force is directly proportional to the object's mass, angular velocity, and radius of the circle.