Rotational motion problem, half solved, can't figure out other half.

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving a ceiling fan with 80 cm-diameter blades. The first part involves finding the speed of the tip of the blade 10 seconds after the fan is turned off, which is solved using the equation Vf=Vi+at. The second part involves finding the number of revolutions the fan makes while stopping, which is solved using a kinematic displacement equation and the correct conversion of the blade's diameter. The person asking the question initially made a mistake in their calculations, but was able to solve the problem correctly in the end.
Vagabond7
Edit: Nevermind, solved it.

Homework Statement

A ceiling fan with 80 cm-diameter blades is turning at 60rpm . Suppose the fan coasts to a stop 25 s after being turned off.

What is the speed of the tip of the blade 10 seconds after being turned off?

Through how many revolutions does the fan turn while stopping?

Homework Equations

It's just kinematic stuff, just rotational, no particularly complex equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so the first part I could solve just fine.

I solved for the rotational acceleration using Vf=Vi+at where Vf=0, Vi=pi*.8=2.51 m/s(thanks to the easy conversion of 60rpm to m/s) and t=25s. The acceleration was -.1004. Then I just replugged the values in and solved for Vf at 10 seconds getting 1.5 m/s. That went fine, it was the correct answer.

The second part is where I am getting trouble. I figured I could just use a general kinematic displacement equation like df=di+vt+.5at^2 to get the distance traveled and then just divide by the circumference...which now that I am typing, I am realizing I put the wrong thing in my calculator, and I just solved it. Lolz. I divided by 2*pi*.8, but .8 is the diameter not the radius. pi*.8 gets me the right answer.

*sigh,* don't you hate it when you get caught up, not by a lack of understanding, but by just dumb errors? Well thanks for the speedy replies I know I would've gotten. I'll probably be back for more help later.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well done - at least you didn't just delete the question or leave the actual soution off.
This way, it is possible someone else will be able to use what you did as an example.

FAQ: Rotational motion problem, half solved, can't figure out other half.

1. What is rotational motion and why is it important?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. It is important because many objects in our daily lives, such as wheels, gears, and planets, exhibit rotational motion. Understanding rotational motion can help us design and improve machines, predict the behavior of celestial bodies, and even improve our sports performance.

2. What is a half-solved rotational motion problem?

A half-solved rotational motion problem is a problem where the initial conditions and equations are given, but the solution is only partially found. This means that some aspects of the problem, such as the final velocity or acceleration, are still unknown and need to be solved for.

3. How can I approach solving a half-solved rotational motion problem?

The first step is to clearly define the given information, including the initial conditions and equations. Then, use the equations of rotational motion, such as torque, angular velocity, and moment of inertia, to solve for the unknown variables. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram or use visual aids to better understand the problem.

4. What are some common challenges when solving rotational motion problems?

One common challenge is understanding and correctly applying the equations of rotational motion. Another challenge is dealing with multiple unknown variables and determining which equations to use to solve for them. It is also important to pay attention to units and conversions, as rotational motion involves quantities such as angular velocity and torque.

5. What are some real-life applications of rotational motion problems?

Rotational motion problems have many real-life applications, such as designing and improving mechanical devices like car engines and bicycles. They are also used in fields like astronomy to predict the orbits of planets and satellites, and in sports to analyze and improve techniques such as throwing and swinging. Additionally, rotational motion is essential in understanding and analyzing the behavior of natural phenomena like hurricanes and tornadoes.

Back