Route in becoming a charted engineer

• Thread starter TeDucK
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of obtaining the title of "IR" for engineers, with the original poster being from Malaysia. They mention the lack of information on engineering professions and seek assistance in understanding the route from being an undergraduate to obtaining the title. The conversation also touches on the differences between professional designations in various countries, such as "CEng" in the UK and "Eur Ing" in Europe. The importance of having an accredited degree and relevant work experience is also mentioned.
TeDucK
so, IR is the tittle for engineers right?
neway, can someone be of a assistance in explaining on the route from being an undergraduate till getting to the tittle?
thnks!
:smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know what country you are in. This comment is based on experience in the UK.

When you graduate, get a job with an engineering company that understands the value of the chartered engineer qualifications. They should be able to provide a mentor and make sure you get the right type of work experience and keep the right sort of evidence of what you have done, as part of your professional development within the company. Ideally this will be linked into the company's performance appraisal and internal promotion process.

AFAIK you don't need to do anything "special" at the undergraduate stage - except for getting a degree, of course!

see http://www.engc.org.uk/registration/ for a general guide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you are referring to being "chartered" you're not in the US, are you?

oh, my country?

oh..erm..im from malaysia.
ok, honestly, i dunnu why i wrote charted. what i mean is..how do one get the title ir? sorry for not informing. there's not much forums discussing on engineering. just having lack of info on engineering profession. hope of assistance..

complete blur..:confused:

OK. What does "IR" stand for? I am assuming it is some kind of licensure.

FredGarvin said:
OK. What does "IR" stand for? I am assuming it is some kind of licensure.

I assumed it was this - Dutch/German thing, and the historically the Dutch had strong links to Indonesia. From my experience working with European engineers the usage of it is similar to the UK C.Eng that I was talking about. The Germans like to use their formal titles (e.g. "Herr Dr. Ingr. Garvin", not "Fred").

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/665934

In Europe, the professional designation equivalent to the British "CEng" (Chartered engineer) is "Eur Ing" (European engineer). The "Ir" prefix is merely to denote an engineering degree, and not a professional qualification (such as being Chartered, Incorporated, or whatever the special word is for "Eur Ing").

The many possible routes to Chartered status in the UK is clearly outlined on the Engineering Council website (www.engc.org.uk)[/URL]. I have no idea what the Malaysian equivalent is, or even if you'll be able to get the title without an accredited degree and suitable experience thereafter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Route in becoming a charted engineer

1. What is a charted engineer?

A charted engineer is a professional engineer who has achieved the highest level of professional recognition in their field. They have gone through a rigorous assessment process and have demonstrated their competence, skills, and ethical standards in their chosen engineering discipline.

2. What are the benefits of becoming a charted engineer?

Becoming a charted engineer can open up a wide range of career opportunities, as it is a highly recognized and respected credential in the engineering industry. It can also lead to higher salaries, increased job security, and more challenging and fulfilling projects.

3. What qualifications do I need to become a charted engineer?

To become a charted engineer, you typically need to have a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field, at least four years of relevant work experience, and be a member of a recognized engineering institution or society. These requirements may vary depending on the country or region.

4. What is the process for becoming a charted engineer?

The process for becoming a charted engineer typically involves submitting an application, providing evidence of your education and work experience, and completing a professional review or interview. You may also need to complete a technical report or project to demonstrate your competence in your chosen engineering discipline.

5. How long does it take to become a charted engineer?

The time it takes to become a charted engineer can vary depending on your education, work experience, and the requirements of the engineering institution or society you are applying to. On average, it can take anywhere from 3-5 years to become a charted engineer.