Rsoft-Beamprop-Multilayer waveguide

• Thread starter mariajacob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waveguide
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Rsoft-Beamprop program for simulations on a multilayer waveguide. The attached graph shows the results of calculations for output power through a waveguide of silicon dioxide-core-air structure, with three different core thicknesses. The first graph shows no propagation of light, while the second and third graphs show differences in the shape of launch power and waveguide power. The questioner also asks for clarification on how to view the output power using the program.
mariajacob
Hello

I am using Rsoft- Beamprop program to do some simulations on a multilayer waveguide.

Can anyone please help me to interpret the graph (simulation results) attached.

Explanation of the graphs :- I have done some calculations to find the output power (wavelength = 633micrometer) through a waveguide of silicon dioxide- core- air structure. I have done 3 calculations with various core thickness and have obtained the 3 graphs (please see the attached file), as shown. But how do I interpret these results?

All these three graphs represents the propagation of light ( wavelength = 633micrometer,and width= 10 micrometer ) with various core thickness. Except the thickness of the core, all the parameters are same for all the three graphs.

The substrate is silicon, first cladding is silicon dioxide, core is SU-8 photoresist, and on the top it is the air.Can you please help me to explain the results. In the first graph I understood that there is no propagation of light though the waveguide (power=0). But how about the 2nd and 3rd graphs? How to interpret the difference in the shape of the launch power and Waveguide power ?

Attachments

• rsoft result.JPG
    rsoft result.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 677
Likes Fazea
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi, I'm new to this software. I would like to ask how do you so sure, that is the output power from the waveguide? Which option of monitor you set to view the output power?

Thanks.:smile:

Hello Kevin

I am not very good in this prog yet, but If I am right, the output power can be read from the second graph, Monitor value Vs Z axis. It shows the monitor output. i.e. the percentage of output power through a waveguide. Set the WG power monitor in the monitor setting. Hope it will help you.

Related to Rsoft-Beamprop-Multilayer waveguide

1. What is Rsoft-Beamprop-Multilayer waveguide?

Rsoft-Beamprop-Multilayer waveguide is a software tool used in the field of photonics to simulate and analyze the propagation of light in multilayer waveguide structures. It is commonly used in the design and optimization of photonic devices such as optical waveguides, couplers, and splitters.

2. How does Rsoft-Beamprop-Multilayer waveguide work?

Rsoft-Beamprop-Multilayer waveguide uses the finite difference beam propagation method (FD-BPM) to solve the Maxwell's equations and simulate the propagation of light through multilayer waveguide structures. It takes into account parameters such as refractive index, waveguide geometry, and material properties to accurately model the behavior of light.

3. What are the key features of Rsoft-Beamprop-Multilayer waveguide?

Some key features of Rsoft-Beamprop-Multilayer waveguide include a user-friendly interface, advanced simulation capabilities, and the ability to handle complex waveguide structures. It also offers various visualization and analysis tools to help users interpret and optimize their simulation results.

4. What are the applications of Rsoft-Beamprop-Multilayer waveguide?

Rsoft-Beamprop-Multilayer waveguide is commonly used in the design and optimization of photonic devices for various applications such as telecommunications, optical computing, and biomedicine. It can also be used for research purposes in the field of integrated photonics and nanophotonics.

5. Is Rsoft-Beamprop-Multilayer waveguide suitable for beginners?

While Rsoft-Beamprop-Multilayer waveguide has a user-friendly interface, it is recommended for users to have a basic understanding of photonics and waveguide structures before using the software. There are also tutorials and guides available to help beginners get started with the software.

Back