Rudin 1.37 (d) is trivial to Rudin but hell for me

• Thread starter josueortega
  • Start date
In summary, the discussion is about Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis and the demonstration of Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality in Theorem 1.37, part (d). Rudin states that this is an immediate consequence of the Schwarz Inequality, defined as $|\sum_{j=1}^{n}a_j \overline{b_j}|^2 \leqslant \sum_{j=1}^{n}|a_j|^2 \sum_{j=1}^{n}|b_j|^2$. The main point of confusion is how the two are identical, and it is explained that the only difference is the use of absolute value bars to make the inequality compatible with complex spaces.
josueortega
Hi everyone,

I am working on my own through Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis and, after the demonstration of Cauchy - Schwarz Inequality, in Theorem 1.37, part (d), Rudin states:

$$|x \cdot y| \leqslant |x||y|$$

When he explains how to prove this, he simply states that this is an immediate consequence of Schwarz Inequality, which he defines as follows:

$$|\sum_{j=1}^{n}a_j \overline{b_j}|^2 \leqslant \sum_{j=1}^{n}|a_j|^2 \sum_{j=1}^{n}|b_j|^2$$

If someone can explain me how this two things are identical I would appreciate it a lot. My toughts so far:

$$|x \cdot y| \leqslant |x||y|$$ Take the square of this, which is:

$$ (x \cdot y)(x \cdot y) \leqslant \sum x_i^2 \sum y_i^2$$ and hence,

$$ (\sum x_iy_i)^2 \leqslant \sum x_i^2 \sum y_i^2$$ which is NOT the Schwarz Inequality!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure it is? He just conjugates the [itex]b_j[/itex] to make the formula compatible with complex spaces. It's the same reason he slaps absolute value bars everywhere.

I understand the part of the conjugate, actually the whole part on the left is pretty clear to me. The problem is the right side of the inequality. I don't understand how

$$\sum x_i^2 \sum y_i^2 = \sum_{j=1}^{n} |x|^2 \sum_{j=1}^{n} |y|^2$$

You mean [itex]|x_i|[/itex] on the right, not [itex]|x|[/itex], right? Again, it's just slapping absolute value bars around to make the inequality compatible with complex spaces. For real numbers, there is no difference.

Hello,

I understand your confusion and I am happy to provide some clarification. The Schwarz Inequality that Rudin is referring to is also known as the Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality, which states:

$$|\sum_{j=1}^{n}a_j \overline{b_j}|^2 \leqslant \sum_{j=1}^{n}|a_j|^2 \sum_{j=1}^{n}|b_j|^2$$

This inequality is used in the proof of Theorem 1.37 (d), which states:

To see how these two are related, let's take a closer look at the proof.

First, note that the dot product of two vectors $x$ and $y$ can be written as:

$$x \cdot y = \sum_{i=1}^{n} x_i y_i$$

Now, if we take the absolute value of both sides, we get:

$$|x \cdot y| = \left|\sum_{i=1}^{n} x_i y_i\right|$$

Using the Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality, we have:

$$\left|\sum_{i=1}^{n} x_i y_i\right| \leqslant \sqrt{\sum_{i=1}^{n}|x_i|^2}\sqrt{\sum_{i=1}^{n}|y_i|^2}$$

Note that the square root of the sum of squared terms is just the norm of a vector. So, we can rewrite this as:

which is exactly what we wanted to prove.

In summary, the Schwarz Inequality is used in the proof of Theorem 1.37 (d) to show that the dot product of two vectors is bounded by the product of their norms. I hope this helps clarify things for you. Keep up the good work with Rudin's book!

Related to Rudin 1.37 (d) is trivial to Rudin but hell for me

What does it mean when Rudin 1.37 (d) is trivial to Rudin?

When something is considered trivial to Rudin, it means that it is a simple or straightforward concept for the mathematician Walter Rudin, who is known for his rigorous and advanced mathematical proofs. In other words, it may be difficult or challenging for the average person to understand or solve.

Why is Rudin 1.37 (d) considered difficult for non-mathematicians?

Rudin 1.37 (d) is considered difficult for non-mathematicians because it involves abstract mathematical concepts and requires a deep understanding of mathematical principles and techniques. It may also require a strong background in mathematical analysis and rigorous proof-writing skills.

What is the purpose of Rudin 1.37 (d) in mathematics?

Rudin 1.37 (d) is a theorem or proposition in mathematical analysis that serves as a building block for more complex mathematical theories and proofs. It helps to establish a foundation for understanding and solving more advanced mathematical problems.

How can I better understand Rudin 1.37 (d)?

To better understand Rudin 1.37 (d), it is helpful to have a strong foundation in mathematical analysis and proof-writing. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a mathematics professor or tutor who can offer additional explanations and examples.

Are there any resources available to help me understand Rudin 1.37 (d)?

Yes, there are many resources available to help individuals understand Rudin 1.37 (d) and other advanced mathematical concepts. These may include textbooks, online lectures or tutorials, and study groups or forums where individuals can discuss and work through problems together.