Rules to compute Feynman Diagram with the Feynman rules

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties of computing Feynman diagrams with the Feynman rules, due to the non-commutativity of gamma matrices and spinnors. The ordering of factors in the Feynman diagram is important, and there are rules to determine where to begin and in which order to compute them. The particle flow must be followed, but in the case of e+ e- scattering, it does not matter whether the computation starts with e+ or e-. The first step is to label all internal lines with momenta, with fermions labeled in the direction of the arrow and bosons chosen for directional loops. The computation should start with the outgoing particles and read from right to left.
varphi42
Hello,

I am trying to compute feynman diagrams with the feynman rules but I encounter some difficulties... Since the gamma matrices, spinnors, etc do not comute, the ordering of the different factor from feynman diagram has an importance. Is there some rules that say where to begin and in which order do we have to compute them?

I know for instance that we have to follow the particle flow but in the case of e+ e- scattering, do I begin with the e+ or the e-, etc ?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a diagram and read from right to left.time increases also in going from down to up.you should care to make amplitude lorentz invariant.it should be in order of increasing time.
I know for instance that we have to follow the particle flow but in the case of e+ e- scattering, do I begin with the e+ or the e-, etc ?
it does not matter.

My first step:
Label all internal lines with momenta.
Fermions : Label internal momenta in the DIRECTION OF THE ARROW, then use a regular
[tex]\frac{i (\not p + m)}{p^2-m^2}[/tex]
propagator. Never think about internal fermions as antifermions/etc.
Bosons : I don't think it matters internally, so just choose whatever you want, I choose them so loops are directional. REALLY the delta functions at each vertex should take care of it.

Then I start at (for simple diagrams) the outgoing particles. (So start with things that are barred).

So for e+(p1) e-(p2) > gamma > e+(k1) e-(k2)

[tex]
[\bar{u}_{k_2} (- i e Q_{\ell} \gamma_{\mu}) v_{k_1}] \times \left(-i \frac{g^{\mu \nu}}{q^2}\right) \times [\bar{v}_{p_1} (- i e Q_{\ell} \gamma_{\nu}) u_{p_2}]
[/tex]

Draw a diagram and read from right to left
correction,it should read as we read from right to left,we just follow the arrows.

Related to Rules to compute Feynman Diagram with the Feynman rules

1. What are the Feynman rules for computing Feynman diagrams?

The Feynman rules are a set of mathematical rules used to compute Feynman diagrams, which represent the interactions between particles in quantum field theory. These rules involve assigning mathematical symbols and operations to each element of the Feynman diagram, such as propagators, vertices, and coupling constants.

2. How do I determine the direction of a Feynman diagram?

The direction of a Feynman diagram is determined by the flow of particles and antiparticles. In general, particles move forward in time while antiparticles move backward in time. The direction of the arrows on the propagators also indicates the direction of the particle's motion.

3. What is the significance of the coupling constant in Feynman diagrams?

The coupling constant in Feynman diagrams represents the strength of the interaction between particles. It is a dimensionless quantity that is typically determined experimentally and can vary depending on the type of interaction being studied.

4. How do I handle virtual particles in Feynman diagrams?

Virtual particles are represented by lines in Feynman diagrams and do not correspond to actual particles. They are used to represent intermediate states in interactions and can have any energy or momentum. When calculating Feynman diagrams, virtual particles must be taken into account and their corresponding propagators must be included in the calculation.

5. Can Feynman diagrams be used to compute all types of interactions?

Feynman diagrams can be used to compute most types of interactions, including electromagnetic, strong, and weak interactions. However, they are not applicable to interactions that involve gravity, as a different framework, such as general relativity, is needed to describe these interactions.