Rumor Propagation on a Small Island: Theoretical Analysis and Simulation Results

• MHB
  • Thread starter jacobi1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Propagation
In summary, 25 out of the 25 inhabitants of the small island hear the rumor about Jack. 80 percent of these inhabitants hear the rumor before it dies. However, finding the maximum number of people who were spreading the rumor was extremely complicated and I was not able to find a solution.
jacobi1
On a small island there are 25 inhabitants. One of these inhabitants, named Jack, starts a rumor which spreads around the isle. Any person who hears the rumor continues spreading it until he or she meets someone who has heard the story before. At that point, the person stops spreading it, since nobody likes to spread stale news.
In the first time increment, Jack randomly selects one of the other inhabitants, named Jill, to tell the rumor to. In the second time increment, both Jack and Jill each randomly select one of the remaining 23 inhabitants to tell the rumor to. (Note: they could conceivably pick each other again.) In the next time increment, there are 4 rumor spreaders, and so on. If a randomly selected person has already heard the rumor, that person stops spreading the rumor.
How many inhabitants out of 25 finally hear the rumor before it dies?
This is a simulation problem, and so I simulated it and got that about 80 percent of the inhabitants hear the rumor. However, I want a theoretical solution if possible, and that is what I am having trouble with.
I found the percentage of rumor spreaders as a function of time to be
\(\displaystyle f(t)=\left (1-\frac{25-2^{t}}{25^{t}}\right )^{25} - \frac{2^t}{25}\),
where the first term is the percentage of new spreaders, and the second term is the number of people who have already heard the rumor.
I tried to find the maximum number of people who were spreading the rumor, but I got an extremely complicated equation (here, n=25):
\(\displaystyle n^2 \left (n^t-n+2^{t} \right )^{n-1} \left (2^t \ln \frac{2}{n}+x+1 \right )=\ln 2 (2n^n)^t\), so...no progress there.
I also tried simulating it using a SIR model, but didn't get far.
How can I proceed?
Or is there another, simpler way to do it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Or is there possibly a programming solution?

Related to Rumor Propagation on a Small Island: Theoretical Analysis and Simulation Results

1. What causes a rumor to spread?

Rumors can spread for a variety of reasons, including human curiosity, social influence, and emotional responses. When people hear something that piques their interest or confirms their beliefs, they are more likely to share it with others. Additionally, social media and the internet have made it easier for rumors to spread quickly and reach a larger audience.

2. How does a rumor begin?

A rumor can begin in many ways, such as a misinterpretation of information, intentional deception, or a misunderstanding. It can also start from a small piece of truth that gets distorted or exaggerated as it is passed from person to person.

3. Can a rumor be stopped?

It can be challenging to stop a rumor once it has started spreading. However, it is possible to slow down or prevent its propagation by providing accurate and credible information to counter the rumor. It is also crucial to address the root cause of the rumor and address any concerns or fears that may have contributed to its spread.

4. What are the consequences of a rumor?

Rumors can have various consequences, depending on the nature of the rumor and the context in which it is spread. In some cases, it can lead to misinformation, confusion, and damage to someone's reputation. In more severe cases, it can incite fear, panic, and even violence. It can also harm relationships and trust within a community.

5. How can we prevent the spread of rumors?

One way to prevent the spread of rumors is by being critical and questioning the information we receive. It is essential to fact-check information before sharing it with others and to consider the source of the information. Another way is to promote open communication and encourage people to ask questions and seek credible sources of information. Additionally, addressing any underlying issues or concerns that may lead to the spread of rumors can help prevent them from starting in the first place.