S+T=1 sensitivity of a control system

In summary, the conversation discusses the sensitivity of a transfer function GC/(1+GC) to the parameter G and the profoundness of this statement. It is observed that the gain of the feedback loop cannot exceed 1 unless the sign of the feedback is reversed, which can lead to oscillation. This phenomenon is demonstrated in feedback systems, such as the Earth's temperature control system.
FOIWATER
Gold Member
with s being the sensitivity of a transfer function GC/(1+GC) to the parameter G. (1/(1+GC)

I see mathematically how it works out. My question is about the profoundness of the statement. Qualitatively, what does it mean

Engineering news on Phys.org
My question is about the profoundness of the statement. Qualitatively, what does it mean
I gather you're talking about feedback systems here...

To me it is a demonstration of the profound effect of feedback...

G is the forward gain

and C is the feedback
let C be +1 for simplicity's sake

observe that gain of the feedback loop G/(1 + G) cannot be greater than 1, regardless of forward gain G,,,,

unless you reverse sign of feedback
which creates possibility of a zero denominator (hence infinite closed loop gain) hence oscillation...

And that happens by itself when time lag of feedback amounts to a half cycle(180 degrees) which reverses the sign...
Any physical system with feedback will find that frequency for you; recall from elementary school when the PA microphone gets in front of the speaker you get a pure tone - that's the frequency where transit time at speed of sound from speaker to mike amounts to a half cycle.

Mother Nature is very playful !
Look at Earth's feedback system for temperature control - heat transport from surface to stratosphere via water vapor.

old jim

Last edited:

FAQ: S+T=1 sensitivity of a control system

What is the meaning of "S+T=1 sensitivity" in a control system?

In a control system, sensitivity refers to the ability of the system to respond to changes in the input or disturbances. S+T=1 sensitivity means that the sensitivity of the system is equal to the sum of the sensitivity of the sensor (S) and the sensitivity of the controller (T), which should equal 1.

Why is S+T=1 sensitivity important in a control system?

S+T=1 sensitivity is important because it ensures that the system is able to respond accurately to changes in the input or disturbances. It also helps to maintain stability and prevent oscillations or overshooting in the system's response.

How is S+T=1 sensitivity calculated in a control system?

The sensitivity of a control system can be calculated by measuring the change in the output divided by the change in the input. For S+T=1 sensitivity, the individual sensitivities of the sensor and controller are calculated and then added together to ensure that the total sensitivity is equal to 1.

What factors can affect the S+T=1 sensitivity of a control system?

The sensitivity of a control system can be affected by various factors such as the quality and accuracy of the sensor and controller, the type of input or disturbance, and the overall design and tuning of the system. Environmental factors such as temperature and noise can also impact sensitivity.

How can the S+T=1 sensitivity of a control system be improved?

To improve the sensitivity of a control system, it is important to use high-quality and accurate sensors and controllers. Proper system design and tuning can also help to optimize sensitivity. Additionally, minimizing external disturbances and maintaining a stable environment can help to improve the overall sensitivity of the system.