S6.7.r.19 Rational Expression Integral (complete the square?)

In summary: $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x}\,\left( 9\,x^2 + 6\,x + 5 \right) = 18\,x + 6 \end{align*}$$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ \frac{x + 1}{9\,x^2 + 6\,x + 5} \,\mathrm{d}x } &= \frac{1}{18} \int{ \frac{18\,x + 18}{9\,x^2 + 6\,x + 5} } \\ &= \frac
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\Large{S6.7.R.19}$

$$\displaystyle
I=\int\frac{x+1}{9{x}^{2}+6x+5}\, dx
=\frac{1}{18}\ln\left({9{x}^{2}+6x+5}\right)
+\frac{1}{9}\arctan\left[{\frac{1}{2}\left(3x+1\right)}\right]+C
$$
$\text{from the given I thought completing the square would be the way to solve this} \\$
$\text{but I don't see how this would result in the answer.}$

Physics news on Phys.org
karush said:
$\Large{S6.7.R.19}$

$$\displaystyle
I=\int\frac{x+1}{9{x}^{2}+6x+5}\, dx
=\frac{1}{18}\ln\left({9{x}^{2}+6x+5}\right)
+\frac{1}{9}\arctan\left[{\frac{1}{2}\left(3x+1\right)}\right]+C
$$
$\text{from the given I thought completing the square would be the way to solve this} \\$
$\text{but I don't see how this would result in the answer.}$

I would start by rewriting it in two separate fractions, one where a u substitution can be used... Notice that $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x}\,\left( 9\,x^2 + 6\,x + 5 \right) = 18\,x + 6 \end{align*}$, so we should probably rewrite the integral as...

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ \frac{x + 1}{9\,x^2 + 6\,x + 5} \,\mathrm{d}x } &= \frac{1}{18} \int{ \frac{18\,x + 18}{9\,x^2 + 6\,x + 5} } \\ &= \frac{1}{18} \int{ \frac{18\,x + 6}{9\,x^2 + 6\,x + 5} + \frac{12}{9\,x^2 + 6\,x + 5} \,\mathrm{d}x } \end{align*}$

The first term can be integrated with substitution $\displaystyle \begin{align*} u = 9\,x^2 + 6\,x + 5 \implies \mathrm{d}x = \left( 18\,x + 6 \right) \,\mathrm{d}x \end{align*}$ and the second can be solved with your idea of completing the square in the denominator.

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x}\,\left( 9\,x^2 + 6\,x + 5 \right) = 18\,x + 6 \end{align*}$

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ \frac{x + 1}{9\,x^2 + 6\,x + 5} \,\mathrm{d}x } &= \frac{1}{18} \int{ \frac{18\,x + 18}{9\,x^2 + 6\,x + 5} } \\ &= \frac{1}{18} \int{ \frac{18\,x + 6}{9\,x^2 + 6\,x + 5} + \frac{12}{9\,x^2 + 6\,x + 5} \,\mathrm{d}x } \end{align*}$

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} u = 9\,x^2 + 6\,x + 5 \implies \mathrm{d}x = \left( 18\,x + 6 \right) \,\mathrm{d}x \end{align*}$

$\displaystyle
\frac{1}{18} \int{\frac{18x + 6}{9\,x^2 + 6x + 5}} \, dx
= \frac{1}{18}\int\frac{1}{u}\, du =\frac{1}{18}\ln\left({9\,x^2 + 6x+5}\right)$

Last edited:
karush said:
$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x}\,\left( 9\,x^2 + 6\,x + 5 \right) = 18\,x + 6 \end{align*}$

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} u = 9\,x^2 + 6\,x + 5 \implies \mathrm{d}x = \left( 18\,x + 6 \right) \,\mathrm{d}x \end{align*}$

$\displaystyle
\frac{1}{18} \int{\frac{18x + 6}{9\,x^2 + 6x + 5}} \, dx
= \frac{1}{18}\int\frac{1}{u}\, du =\frac{1}{18}\ln\left({9\,x^2 + 6x+5}\right)$

That is correct so far. Notice you can leave out the absolute value signs in the logarithm as the quantity is always nonnegative anyway.

Now how about the second part?

FAQ: S6.7.r.19 Rational Expression Integral (complete the square?)

1. What is a rational expression integral?

A rational expression integral is an integration problem that involves a rational expression, which is a ratio of two polynomial functions. It can be solved using techniques such as partial fraction decomposition and completing the square.

2. What does S6.7.r.19 refer to in the context of a rational expression integral?

S6.7.r.19 is most likely a section or problem number in a specific math textbook or course. It is used to identify a specific topic or question related to rational expression integrals.

3. Why is completing the square used in solving rational expression integrals?

Completing the square is a useful technique when solving rational expression integrals because it allows us to rewrite the rational expression as a sum or difference of squares, which can then be integrated more easily. It is especially helpful when dealing with expressions that contain both quadratic and linear terms.

4. How do you complete the square for a rational expression integral?

To complete the square for a rational expression integral, we first factor out the coefficient of the squared term. Then, we add and subtract half of the coefficient of the linear term squared. Finally, we rewrite the expression as a sum or difference of squares and continue with the integration process.

5. Can you provide an example of a rational expression integral that requires completing the square?

Yes, for example, ∫(4x+1)/(x²+2x+5) dx. This integral can be solved by completing the square for the denominator, rewriting it as (x+1)²+4, and then using the substitution u = x+1 to solve the integral. The final answer would involve inverse trigonometric functions.