Safe High Voltage Source?

bob012345
Gold Member
I need a relatively high voltage less than 10k but essentially zero current on the order of 0.1 micro amps and very low power due to leakage on the order of 200 micro watts. These are rough numbers. My question is can I boost a 9V battery to provide the voltage and will it still be dangerous if the current and power as limited to those max ranges? The application is testing a capacitor. The actual target numbers are around 3500V, 0.06 micro amps and 200micro watts .

Is there a fundamentally safe way to do this? Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is the capacitance value of the capacitor?

It's a parallel plate capacitor about 0.01 square meters and a separation of about 1cm and dielectric is air so about 5 pF is my guess.

bob012345 said:
Are you happy with a pulse as opposed to steady flow? If so a coil and something to break the circuit - think breaker points on an old pre-electronic auto ignition - will do the trick. You will definitely notice the shock if the voltage goes astray and it will be unpleasant enough to discourage repetition, but about as safe as these voltages can be.

Likes bob012345
It will take 0.25 seconds, to charge 5pF, to 5kV, with an 0.1uA current source.

bob012345 said:
No.
5kV is fundamentally unsafe, without discipline and safe procedures.

You might build a Cockcroft–Walton voltage multiplier using low value capacitors to limit the current.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockcroft–Walton_generator#Operation

You would need to drive the multiplier with a 250 Vpp high-voltage oscillator at about 1 kHz, powered by the 9V battery.

Likes DaveE and bob012345
Nugatory said:
Are you happy with a pulse as opposed to steady flow? If so a coil and something to break the circuit - think breaker points on an old pre-electronic auto ignition - will do the trick. You will definitely notice the shock if the voltage goes astray and it will be unpleasant enough to discourage repetition, but about as safe as these voltages can be.
I need to keep the voltage constant for a long time (several minutes).

Baluncore said:
It will take 0.25 seconds, to charge 5pF, to 5kV, with an 0.1uA current source.

No.
5kV is fundamentally unsafe, without discipline and safe procedures.

You might build a Cockcroft–Walton voltage multiplier using low value capacitors to limit the current.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockcroft–Walton_generator#Operation

You would need to drive the multiplier with a 250 Vpp high-voltage oscillator at about 1 kHz, powered by the 9V battery.
Not sure I understand. Does this mean I need two voltage sources?

Rub a balloon on your head? Just a guess. Have no idea what voltage it produces.

Likes berkeman
OmCheeto said:
Rub a balloon on your head? Just a guess. Have no idea what voltage it produces.
Probably not enough to get through my thick skull.

bob012345 said:
Not sure I understand. Does this mean I need two voltage sources?
Your 9V battery runs an AC oscillator like used in a xenon photo flash tube.
The CW multiplies that AC and produces the EHT DC output voltage.

Likes bob012345
Baluncore said:
Your 9V battery runs an AC oscillator like used in a xenon photo flash tube.
The CW multiplies that AC and produces the EHT DC output voltage.
Ok, thanks. I'll look it up and run it in LTSpice. Thanks again.

I'm voting no, not safe. Mostly because you have to ask (which is great BTW).

Working with dangerous circuits is often presented as a circuit question, but it's usually way more complicated that what you intend. There are a lot of secondary considerations that can be hard to control or define. It's more about worst case conditions, failure modes and effects, and most of all, safe working practices.

One of the scariest things I ever did was to measure the impedance of a 1KW fast flow CO2 gas laser, while it was operating, with a frequency response analyzer. This laser had a 10KV, 10KW linear DC power supply. I literally spent a day at my desk, and just looking at the laser construction, thinking about how to do this thing safely and what to do if things go wrong. Then I spent about another day building special purpose test gear to make connections, limit voltages in fault conditions, emergency kill switches, plexiglass barriers, etc. Then the test took about 1 hour, but I was scared for about 2 days in total. The opposite of "hold my beer"; fear is maybe the most important safety tool.

BTW, the impedance of ionized gasses is a really interesting thing, I wish I had those old lab notebooks. But alas, I couldn't finish that work for business reasons, the project was killed.

Also, (off topic) funny story. The product was called "EVERLASE", it was pretty awful; very unreliable. One time my boss had to go to a customer site that had had several failures. They had painted an "N" in front of the name on the side and called it the "NEVERLASE"... ouch, they were kind of right.
coherent_everlase-arrow_569697.jpg

Likes berkeman and bob012345
DaveE said:
I'm voting no, not safe. Mostly because you have to ask (which is great BTW).