Sailboat forces and Newton's 3rd law

• Thread starter abrenner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces Law
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between Newton's 3rd law of motion and a sailboat moving downwind. The wind impinges on the sail and the sail pushes the wind back, resulting in the forces cancelling out. However, if the sail pushes back on the wind and is attached to the boat, the boat moves forward. It is debated whether the force pushing the boat forward is the drag produced by the water or the unequal masses of the boat and the water. The concept of momentum and the application of Newton's laws is also discussed. Ultimately, it is concluded that the force exerted by the wind on the sail is what propels the boat forward, with or without the presence of drag.
abrenner
Not sure if this is the correct forum, but I'm sure someone will let me know. My question regards Newton's 3rd law of motion. How does Newton's 3rd law relate to a sailboat moving downwind. (I'm not talking about lift, or Bernoulli's principle, just a simple single sail, let all the way out, with the wind behind it. As I understand the 3rd law, the wind impinges on the sail, and the sail pushes the wind back. So far, the forces cancel. However, if the sail pushes back on the wind and the sail is attached to the boat, the boat moves forward. Am I correct so far? If so, where is the equal and opposing force on the boat? Is it the drag produced by the water? If it is equal, why does the boat move at all?? I suspect it has to do with the 2nd law and unequal masses, i.e., the mass of the boat vs. the mass of the water? If the mass of the water is less, then the boat will accelerate? Am I all wet(pardon the pun) here? If not, how can you possibly determine the mass of the water?

A. Brenner

Physics news on Phys.org
abrenner said:
The wind impinges on the sail, and the sail pushes the wind back. So far, the forces cancel. However, if the sail pushes back on the wind and the sail is attached to the boat, the boat moves forward. Is it the drag produced by the water? If it is equal, why does the boat move at all?
Acceleration is zero when the forces cancel, but not velocity. If the forces cancel, the sail boat moves at constant velocity. If the sail boat is not moving or moving slower, then the wind force is greater than the water drag, and the sail boat accelerates until the forces cancel.

Let's go back to the 3rd law. Is it the sail pushing back on the wind that propels the boat forward?

abrenner said:
Let's go back to the 3rd law. Is it the sail pushing back on the wind that propels the boat forward?
Yes. The wind is slowed dramatically.

So what is happening -are we now talking about F= ma, where the acceleration of the wind drops as it is slowed down. Does that mean that the force exerted by the sail pushing back, and therefore the force pushing the boat forward is less than the force of the wind? Or are we talking about different masses,i.e., mass of the wind, mass of the sail, mass of the boat. I'm trying to understand which of Newton's laws makes the boat move, and if it is both 3rd and 2nd laws, when and how they come into play.

abrenner said:
Does that mean that the force exerted by the sail pushing back, and therefore the force pushing the boat forward is less than the force of the wind?
Yes. Its like moving a block by moving another block placed under it. The net force on the upper block(in the form of static friction) will be lesser than the force you apply.

I'm trying to understand which of Newton's laws makes the boat move, and if it is both 3rd and 2nd laws, when and how they come into play.
Rushing wind hits the sail and loses some momentum in the initial direction which is transferred to the sail and through the sail to the boat, the rate at which this momentum is transferred gives the force of the wind. This is the second law. Momentum conservation hides within the third law. Read further on the Newton's laws.

I'm wondering if I could understand the opposite and EQUAL force law without introducing momentum. The wind impinges on the sail with a force F¹= ma¹, where a¹ = the rate of change of the velocity of the wind. Since the velocity is decreasing, the acceleration is negative. So F¹ is negative. The equal and opposite force pushing the sail and therefore the boat forward is F² = -F¹. Is this correct?

abrenner said:
The equal and opposite force pushing the sail and therefore the boat forward is F² = -F¹. Is this correct?
Exactly.

abrenner said:
I'm wondering if I could understand the opposite and EQUAL force law without introducing momentum. The wind impinges on the sail with a force F¹= ma¹, where a¹ = the rate of change of the velocity of the wind. Since the velocity is decreasing, the acceleration is negative. So F¹ is negative. The equal and opposite force pushing the sail and therefore the boat forward is F² = -F¹. Is this correct?
The force exerted by the wind onto the sail is what pushes the sailboat forwards. The drag force from the water is transferred through the boat, and ends up as a force exerted by the sail onto the wind, which is what slows down the wind.

Jeff Reid said:
The drag force from the water is transferred through the boat, and ends up as a force exerted by the sail onto the wind, which is what slows down the wind.
This would be found confusing to the OP who might end up concluding that a third party like water is needed for the reaction force.. Even in the absence of drag force of the water, the sail exerts a reaction to the wind slowing it down.

If there was no drag, then the sail would move at the same speed as the wind and there would be no force.

Jeff Reid said:
If there was no drag, then the sail would move at the same speed as the wind and there would be no force.

Could Jeff's reply be true? Assume there is a wind with nothing to impede it. Now introduce an object (like a catamran gliding onthe water, assume no drag). Wouldn't the sails still impede the wind and create a force? Otherwise, how could the boat begin to move without a force?

abrenner said:
Could Jeff's reply be true? Assume there is a wind with nothing to impede it. Now introduce an object (like a catamran gliding onthe water, assume no drag). Wouldn't the sails still impede the wind and create a force? Otherwise, how could the boat begin to move without a force?
Initially there would be a force because the dragless boat would be moving slower than the wind, with acceleration due to the force from the wind on the slower moving sail. As the dragless boat's speed increased to that of the wind, the force would approach zero. If the dragless boat were moving at the same speed as the wind, the force would be zero.

Jeff Reid said:
Initially there would be a force because the dragless boat would be moving slower than the wind, with acceleration due to the force from the wind on the slower moving sail. As the dragless boat's speed increased to that of the wind, the force would approach zero. If the dragless boat were moving at the same speed as the wind, the force would be zero.

That makes sense; thanks to all of you who responded; I'm teaching a middle school class about force and sailboats. While I want to make it understandable, I also want them to grasp the physics of forces. I think I can now do that.

Last edited:
After thinking about it again, I'd like to reopen this thread with a short discussion of momentum. If, as we've said, the wind slows down dramatically when it hits the sail, a collision is taking place. Consider a motionless sailboat (and for the moment a dragless situation). The wind picks up, hits the sail and the boat moves forward (Analagous to a bowling ball hitting a tennis ball?). If momentum is conserved here (no water friction), it suggests the mass of the air is greater than the mass of the sail and boat. This seems intuitively not posssible, because the weight of the air is so negligible. Where have I gone wrong?

abrenner said:
This seems intuitively not posssible, because the weight of the air is so negligible. Where have I gone wrong?
Air is not neglibile at all. Few things can knock down a tree - or a house - better than a large volume of air.

If a wind were able to apply a mere 1/10 of a atmosphere to a sail on a small boat, that would produce 8 tons of pressure. (85 sq. ft. x 144 x 14.7lbs/in^2 = ~17000lbs)

Is that enough for you?

Last edited:
Momentum = mv. I was looking for the mass of air I should use, not the pressure. At 1.2g/L, I calculate that the mass of air in say, 85 cubic feet, has a mass of 2.94 KG, or 6.5 lbs. My question is what volume of air do I use to calculate the mass of air impinging on the sail?

FAQ: Sailboat forces and Newton's 3rd law

1. What is Newton's 3rd law and how does it apply to sailboat forces?

Newton's 3rd law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back. In the context of sailboat forces, this law explains why the boat moves forward when wind hits the sails. The wind exerts a force on the sails, and in response, the sails exert an equal and opposite force on the wind, propelling the boat forward.

2. What are the different forces acting on a sailboat?

There are several forces that act on a sailboat, including aerodynamic forces from the wind, hydrodynamic forces from the water, and gravitational forces. The most significant force for propelling a sailboat is the aerodynamic force from the wind, which is harnessed by the sails to move the boat forward. Other forces, such as the weight of the boat and the resistance of the water, also play a role in the movement and stability of the sailboat.

3. How does the shape and position of a sail affect the forces on a sailboat?

The shape and position of a sail are crucial in determining the forces acting on a sailboat. The shape of the sail affects the amount of lift generated, with a curved sail producing more lift than a flat sail. The position of the sail also affects the direction and magnitude of the force, with a sail set at a different angle to the wind producing a different force. By adjusting the shape and position of the sails, sailors can control the forces acting on the sailboat and maneuver it in different directions.

4. How does Newton's 3rd law explain the turning of a sailboat?

When a sailboat turns, two forces are acting on the boat: the force from the sails pushing the boat forward and the force from the rudder pushing the boat to the side. According to Newton's 3rd law, the boat will experience an equal and opposite force to the rudder's force, causing the boat to turn in the opposite direction. This explains why a sailboat turns when the rudder is turned in one direction, and the sails are set to catch the wind in the opposite direction.

5. How does wind speed affect the forces on a sailboat?

The speed of the wind has a significant impact on the forces acting on a sailboat. As the wind speed increases, the force on the sails also increases, propelling the boat forward at a faster speed. However, as the wind speed increases, the boat may also experience more drag, making it more challenging to control. Sailors must adjust the shape and position of the sails to balance the forces and maintain control of the sailboat in varying wind conditions.