Sakurai, p. 59, Pr 1.6 - critique the proof

In summary: Oh, gotcha. I thought I missed a technicality, which I almost always do. I'm so bad with little details, and that just cost me a large amount of time over summer's research.No problem, I'm glad I could help :)No problem, I'm glad I could help
bjnartowt

Homework Statement

Suppose that |i> and |j> are eigenkets of some Hermitian operator. Under what condition can we conclude that |i> + |j> is also an eigenket of A? Justify your answer.

Homework Equations

It seems that all that is needed is for "A" to be a linear operator and for |i> and |j> to have the same eigenvalue. Justification:

A(u + v) = Au + Av (that's A's linearity at work)

Au = u[0]*u
Av = v[0]*v

If we have u[0] = v[0] (matching eigenvalues), then:
A(u + v) = u[0]*(u + v) = v[0]*(u + v)

...and thus:
A(u + v) = [some common scalar]*(u + v)

...meaning (u + v) is eigenstate of linear operator "A".

My question: qed?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the eigenkets that you are considering, what is < i | j > equal to?

kuruman said:
For the eigenkets that you are considering, what is < i | j > equal to?

If they are part of the same orthonormal basis, <i|j> ought to be equal to zero. I'll permit the assumption that since |i> and |j> have the same eigenvalues, they ought to be in the same basis.

Good. The problem is asking you under what conditions is the sum of two orthonormal eigenstates of A also an eigenstate of A? There is no "qed" here; qed implies that you need to show something. You need to specify the conditions and of course justify them. So what are the conditions and why? Your initial answer is not clear on that.

Last edited:
I'd have to say the necessary and possibly-sufficient reasons are 1) for those eigenstates to have matching eigenvalues and 2) for the operator A to be linear.

I said that before, but am I missing something? Or did my initial answer not clearly tout that as The Conditions? :-|

We seem to be in a most dangerous situation where I am convinced a possibly-wrong answer is irrefutably correct :-|

bjnartowt said:
I'd have to say the necessary and possibly-sufficient reasons are 1) for those eigenstates to have matching eigenvalues and 2) for the operator A to be linear.

Change "matching" to "identical" and you are correct. If A is the Hamiltonian, |i> and |j> would be degenerate states.

kuruman said:
Change "matching" to "identical" and you are correct. If A is the Hamiltonian, |i> and |j> would be degenerate states.

Oh, with the same energy eigenvalues. This question makes sense now.

Is there some subtle difference between "matching" and "identical" that I'm not aware of? I thought I could use the word "matching" in this case without dashing myself against some subtle technicality of a distinction. Perhaps not?

Thank you very much for your help and patience : )

bjnartowt said:
Oh, with the same energy eigenvalues. This question makes sense now.

Is there some subtle difference between "matching" and "identical" that I'm not aware of? I thought I could use the word "matching" in this case without dashing myself against some subtle technicality of a distinction. Perhaps not?

Thank you very much for your help and patience : )
There is no subtle difference, except that the usage that I have seen includes "identical" and (sometimes) "the same" but not "matching." Therefore, I was not sure how you understood "matching." If I and my spouse are wearing "matching" clothes, it means something different from "identical" which is different from "the same" clothes.

kuruman said:
There is no subtle difference, except that the usage that I have seen includes "identical" and (sometimes) "the same" but not "matching." Therefore, I was not sure how you understood "matching." If I and my spouse are wearing "matching" clothes, it means something different from "identical" which is different from "the same" clothes.

Oh, gotcha. I thought I missed a technicality, which I almost always do. I'm so bad with little details, and that just cost me a large amount of time over summer's research.

Thanks again : )

Related to Sakurai, p. 59, Pr 1.6 - critique the proof

1. What is the significance of Sakurai, p. 59, Pr 1.6?

The significance of Sakurai, p. 59, Pr 1.6 is that it presents a proof of a mathematical concept or theory. It is important for scientists to understand and critique proofs in order to confirm their validity and make sure they are applicable in other areas of research.

2. What does it mean to "critique" a proof?

Critiquing a proof means to carefully examine and evaluate its logical structure, assumptions, and conclusions. It involves identifying any potential errors or weaknesses in the proof and providing constructive feedback for improvement.

3. How can scientists effectively critique a proof?

To effectively critique a proof, scientists should have a strong understanding of the relevant mathematical concepts and techniques. They should carefully follow the steps of the proof and check for any errors or assumptions that may not be valid. It is also helpful to consult with other experts in the field for their perspectives.

4. What are some common mistakes or weaknesses in proofs?

Common mistakes or weaknesses in proofs include incorrect assumptions, flawed logic, and insufficient evidence or explanations. These can lead to incorrect conclusions and undermine the validity of the proof.

5. Why is it important for scientists to critique proofs?

Critiquing proofs is important for scientists because it helps ensure the accuracy and reliability of mathematical concepts and theories. By identifying any errors or weaknesses, scientists can make improvements to the proof and strengthen its validity. This is crucial for the advancement of scientific knowledge and the development of new theories and technologies.