Salicylic Acid from Methyl Salicylate

• Thread starter reising1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid
In summary, the conversation discusses the steps used to synthesize salicylic acid from methyl salicylate in a lab. These steps include adding NaOH to methyl salicylate, heating the solution, cooling and adding HCl, then filtering the product. The question is what is present in the filtrate after filtering the product. The equation for adding NaOH results in methyl salicylate with Na atoms attached to the oxygens, NaOMe, and 2H2O. However, it is unclear what results from adding HCl. The discussion also clarifies that there is no sodium methoxide in water.
reising1

Homework Statement

In a lab, we are synthesizing salicylic acid fro methyl salicylate. The following steps are used:
1) Add NaOH to Methyl Salicylate
2) Heat solution
3) When solution has cooled, add HCl, then filter product

My question is, what is present in the filtrate when filtering the product?

Homework Equations

When adding NaOH, we get:
methyl salicylate (but with Na's attached to the Oxygens), NaOMe, and 2H2O

When adding HCl, I'm not certain what results.

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe that Na+ and Cl- are in the filtrate, because surely those atoms are not in the final product (salicylic acid). But, I'm not certain what else is in the filtrate. For instance, when HCl is added to NaOMe, I'm not sure what the product is. Any help is much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't have sodium methoxide in water.

Oh, okay, so I just have big benzene ring with the sodium and water. But what about the filtrate?

Related to Salicylic Acid from Methyl Salicylate

1. What is Salicylic Acid?

Salicylic acid is a compound that is commonly used in skincare products for its ability to exfoliate and unclog pores. It is also a key ingredient in many acne treatments.

2. What is Methyl Salicylate?

Methyl salicylate is a naturally occurring compound found in plants such as wintergreen and sweet birch. It is commonly used as a flavoring agent and as a topical pain reliever.

3. How is Salicylic Acid made from Methyl Salicylate?

Salicylic acid can be synthesized from methyl salicylate through a process called ester hydrolysis. This involves breaking down the ester bond in methyl salicylate to produce salicylic acid and methanol.

4. What are the uses of Salicylic Acid from Methyl Salicylate?

Salicylic acid from methyl salicylate is commonly used in skincare products for its exfoliating and acne-fighting properties. It is also used in pain relieving creams and ointments for its anti-inflammatory effects.

5. Are there any risks or side effects associated with using Salicylic Acid from Methyl Salicylate?

When used in skincare products, salicylic acid can cause dryness, redness, and irritation in some individuals. It can also increase sensitivity to the sun, so it is important to use sunscreen when using products containing salicylic acid. Ingesting large amounts of methyl salicylate can be toxic and should be avoided.