Sample Test question on Radioactivity

In summary, the activity of carbon due to the decay of C14 is 16 disintegrations per minute per gram of carbon. The atomic weight of naturally occurring carbon is 12 u. The ratio of C14 to C12 in the CO2 of the atmosphere can be determined by considering the half life of C14, which is 5730 years. This information can also be used to calculate the number of disintegrations per minute in 1 mole of both naturally occurring carbon and C14.
physstudent.4

Homework Statement

The activity of carbon, due to the decay of C14, is 16 disintegrations per minute per gram of carbon. The atomic weight of naturally occurring carbon is 12 u. What is the ration of C14 to C12 in the CO2 of the atmosphere? The half life of C14 is 5730 years.

Homework Equations

t(half life) = ln(2)/ lambda
N = N(initial) e^ (-lambda * t)
R = -dN/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I just don't know how to attempt this problem without having a time frame. I don't expect the answer, but if there is an equation I missed that is helpful, or something I seem to not understand, I would greatly appreciate being told! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I had to think about this one for a while. Hope this helps get you going:
physstudent.4 said:

Homework Statement

The activity of carbon, due to the decay of C14, is 16 disintegrations per minute per gram of carbon. The atomic weight of naturally occurring carbon is 12 u.
Okay, based on this information, how many disintegrations per minute are there in 1 mole of naturally occurring carbon?

What is the ration of C14 to C12 in the CO2 of the atmosphere? The half life of C14 is 5730 years.
Based on this information, how many disintegrations per minute are there in 1 mole of C14?

Ah, thank you!

Related to Sample Test question on Radioactivity

1. What is radioactivity?

Radioactivity is the process by which unstable atoms emit energy in the form of particles or waves. This energy is called radiation.

2. How is radioactivity measured?

Radioactivity is measured using a unit called the becquerel (Bq), which represents one radioactive decay per second.

3. What are the different types of radioactive decay?

The three main types of radioactive decay are alpha decay, beta decay, and gamma decay. Alpha decay involves the emission of an alpha particle (two protons and two neutrons), beta decay involves the emission of a beta particle (an electron or positron), and gamma decay involves the emission of gamma rays (high-energy electromagnetic radiation).

4. How is radioactivity used in everyday life?

Radioactivity has many practical applications, including in medicine (such as in radiation therapy and medical imaging), in nuclear power plants, and in industrial processes (such as sterilization). It is also used in smoke detectors and to determine the age of materials through a process called carbon dating.

5. What are the risks associated with exposure to radioactivity?

Exposure to high levels of radioactivity can be harmful to living organisms, as it can damage cells and DNA. However, low levels of exposure are generally not harmful and are a natural part of our environment (such as from sources like the sun and rocks). It is important to follow safety protocols and regulations when working with radioactive materials to minimize any potential risks.