SAT Math: 5:2 Peanut-Cashew Mixture Question

In summary, the problem involves a mixture of peanuts and cashews with a ratio of 5 to 2 by weight. To find the amount of cashews in 4 pounds of the mixture, one must multiply the original ratio by a number that will reduce the total weight from 7 pounds to 4 pounds while maintaining the 5 to 2 ratio.
I'm

Homework Statement

In a Mixture of peanuts and cashews, the ratio by weight of peanuts to cashews is 5 to 2. how many pounds of cashews will there be in 4 pounds of this mixture?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used 5/2 as seven pounds in the original ratio.

Then I tested out some numbers for 2, such as 1.2, 1.4 and they all added up to a number close to four. I didn't reaaly know how to set the problem up so I ended up getting it wrong. I got 1.2.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm said:
I used 5/2 as seven pounds in the original ratio.
Nothing wrong with thinking that 5 lbs of peanuts plus 2 lbs of cashews = 7 lbs.

To reduce 7 lbs to 4 lbs, what would you multiply by? Multiply all quantities by the same number to retain the 5/2 ratio.

I just got it out of insight from your reply. Thank you.

FAQ: SAT Math: 5:2 Peanut-Cashew Mixture Question

1. What is the given problem in "SAT Math: 5:2 Peanut-Cashew Mixture Question"?

The problem involves finding the amount of peanuts and cashews in a mixture, given the total weight of the mixture and the ratio of peanuts to cashews.

2. How do you solve this problem?

To solve this problem, you can use the ratio and proportion method. First, convert the ratio of peanuts to cashews to a fraction (5/2). Then, set up a proportion with the total weight of the mixture and the unknown weight of peanuts and cashews. Solve for the unknown weight using cross multiplication.

3. Can I use any other method to solve this problem?

Yes, you can also use the substitution method. This involves assigning variables for the unknown weights of peanuts and cashews and then setting up two equations based on the given information. Solve the system of equations to find the values of the variables.

4. Are there any important tips to keep in mind while solving this problem?

One important tip is to make sure you are consistent with your units of measurement. If the total weight is given in grams, make sure you convert the ratio to grams as well. Also, double check your calculations to avoid any errors.

5. Can I use this problem to practice for the SAT Math section?

Yes, this type of problem is commonly found in the SAT Math section, specifically in the problem solving and data analysis category. It is a good idea to practice similar problems to improve your skills in ratio and proportion, as well as unit conversions.

Back