Satisfying application of physics

In summary, the conversation revolved around completing a successful physics lab test involving a simulated bungee jump. The goal was to get the payload, an egg, as close to the floor as possible without touching. This required calculating the spring constant and elastic potential energy using measurements from a rubber band and a force gauge. The student successfully completed the test and received the highest grade in the class. They also shared their excitement about majoring in physics in college.
leftyguitarjo
Today, I completed a lab test in my physics test, and received the highest grade in the class. The goal was to simulate a bungee jump. We had to make the payload, an egg in my case, get as close to the floor as possible without touching. To do this, you get a rubber band, and would then calculate a length of non-elastic string to attach to it. Our goal was within 3cm. The catch? you only get one try. I first got a large rubber band, and suspended it from a fixed arm about 2m off the floor. I measured the displacement of the rubber band, and use a force gauge to measure the force. I used those numbers in F=-kx to find the spring constant. I then found the elastic potential energy with Pe=1/2kx^2. I then took the weight of the egg, in Newtons, and calculated the string length with P(elastic)=P(egg) and got .5m. My egg, dropped from the same point that the rubber band was attached to the support, was dropped, and promptly sprang back upon reaching 3cm almost exactly.:approve:Just to sum up my work:
F=kx
9=13.84(.65m)

P(elastic)= 1/2kx^2
2.96= 1/2(13.84).65^2

2.96=mgh

2.96=.6(9.8)h

h=.5m

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Very, very good! That's the kind of physics "lab" that I like.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Very, very good! That's the kind of physics "lab" that I like.

Zz.

thank you very much.

and BTW, I just met with my college course adviser for the first time today. I am "in", and I'm majoring in physics!

leftyguitarjo said:
thank you very much.

and BTW, I just met with my college course adviser for the first time today. I am "in", and I'm majoring in physics!

Great job!

I've had a few similar labs that just *worked* but most of these consist of overcomplicated setups that just manage to work, pure fluke.

Related to Satisfying application of physics

1. What is the practical application of physics?

Physics has many practical applications in various fields such as engineering, medicine, and technology. Some examples include using principles of mechanics to design bridges and buildings, using the laws of thermodynamics in the development of energy sources, and using electromagnetism in the creation of electronic devices.

2. How does physics contribute to our daily lives?

Physics plays a crucial role in our daily lives. It is involved in the functioning of everyday objects such as phones, cars, and appliances. It also helps us understand how the world works, from the motion of objects to the properties of materials.

3. How can understanding physics help us solve real-world problems?

By understanding physics concepts and principles, we can apply them to real-world problems and come up with solutions. For example, understanding the laws of motion can help us design safer transportation systems, and understanding energy can help us develop sustainable energy sources.

4. What are some career options for someone with a background in physics?

A degree in physics can lead to a variety of career options, including research and development, engineering, medicine, finance, and education. Physics also provides a strong foundation for other fields such as computer science and data analysis.

5. Why is physics considered the foundation of science?

Physics is considered the foundation of science because it explains the fundamental principles that govern the behavior of the universe. Other branches of science, such as chemistry and biology, rely on these principles to understand and study their respective fields. Additionally, many advancements in technology and engineering are based on principles of physics.