Saving a Town from Lava Thermodynamics Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the rate of water needed to stop lava from erupting. It is mentioned that the mass of lava calculated is the amount that arrives every minute, and the mass of water needed every minute would have to cool the lava down from 1200 to 800 degrees Celsius and then freeze it. It is also mentioned that the water does not increase in temperature from 20 to 800 degrees Celsius and that the water in gas form does not stick around to be heated by the lava. The correct answer is achieved by just adding MwLv.
BrainMan

Homework Statement

upload_2016-12-30_10-32-15.png

Homework Equations

Q1 + Q2 = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the mass of water needed to cool the lava to a solid. I'm not sure how to find the rate of water needed to stop the lava.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/HTrvgt1wh2amrK8pZkIgNXe3HUaQ8lUPQHugcY-7NzMPqAZ1jAiB8ws4V4G_E60yfYe03KX23qTVAmIDJuXK7UYo3d685xqE5b0VxHk81jFFbijZbFhwrAP5OcGJV3EDHVH3F72QSP9x1rnut92wI3J-wRRGdXAG43ONxSehJns78s8QTpbIDqU0PT2dLxdQmvd4S6fxPRe4bqtLQG3g34A3aULY6daVs_c7wIFw0N7yQ3pQy1vt9ib6c0CN-rN54HAE8Vdv_yPFA0VMhPx219qiJkE1U5feFCZLKLH16J_ZW4ELwQ5q7eeJnFaZ1mJJsFFv2lmeZU94-WWUiUqUolKMTe1su0a6ejG-ElQLnHBAmzP7-O9briknyffQYrUoeW3T9OANjI21Sa2E73_PUByRrFxrdsHns4L0MARbTys-nXTVReSk1W_RTiFNvWK6mbPk5ChLxZ0uvjq-spgOINTkjj5y615fPGDQ0DKBnWwwssw8mSuso_BGrItJFAWEYhLwmIqIEy42yInjUPnUreOMqJ3hZjDSqhY2Dp654zeCbyUmKr4biZN7g9FFZv0SVxNLgowMuID6t1A1QiqgCwbfk0Rlf7639-l8D3DrAb5AK6UqaYII=w497-h662-no

Physics news on Phys.org
What happens to the water when it reaches 100 deg C?
BrainMan said:
I found the mass of water needed to cool the lava to a solid. I'm not sure how to find the rate of water needed to stop the lava.
The mass of lava you calculated (350000 kg) was the mass of lava that arrives every minute. So the mass of water needed every minute would have to cool that lava down from 1200 to 800 deg C and then freeze it. So it looks like that is what your mass of water is attempting to represent. But like I mentioned at the beginning, water doesn't increase in temp. from 20 to 800 deg C.

Edit: By the way, it looks like your 1.4 e11 and 1.54 e11 numbers are correct.

Likes BrainMan
TomHart said:
What happens to the water when it reaches 100 deg C?

The mass of lava you calculated (350000 kg) was the mass of lava that arrives every minute. So the mass of water needed every minute would have to cool that lava down from 1200 to 800 deg C and then freeze it. So it looks like that is what your mass of water is attempting to represent. But like I mentioned at the beginning, water doesn't increase in temp. from 20 to 800 deg C.

Edit: By the way, it looks like your 1.4 e11 and 1.54 e11 numbers are correct.

OK I see. So I need to add MwLv because the water is going to evaporate. Then I need to add nCΔT for water in the gas state until it reaches 800 deg C, right? But what should I use for C for water in the gas phase?

That's the part I was wondering about. I was thinking that once the water turns to steam, it doesn't hang around to be heated up by the lava; it just rises upward never to be heard from again. At least that's what I think would happen.

Likes CWatters and BrainMan
TomHart said:
That's the part I was wondering about. I was thinking that once the water turns to steam, it doesn't hang around to be heated up by the lava; it just rises upward never to be heard from again. At least that's what I think would happen.

OK you're right. You get the right answer if you just add MwLv. So basically, the Lava is heating up the water to boiling point and then the rest of the energy is removed when the water evaporates to a gas. The steam then "just rises upward never to be heard from again." Thanks!

Likes CWatters and TomHart

Related to Saving a Town from Lava Thermodynamics Problem

1. What is a "Lava Thermodynamics Problem"?

A Lava Thermodynamics Problem refers to a scenario in which a town is threatened by a nearby lava flow and scientists are trying to find a way to mitigate or divert the flow to protect the town.

2. How do scientists determine the best solution for saving a town from a lava flow?

Scientists use a combination of field measurements, computer simulations, and knowledge of thermodynamics to analyze the behavior of the lava flow and determine the most effective solution for protecting the town.

3. Can the temperature of the lava flow be controlled?

No, the temperature of the lava flow cannot be controlled. Lava is molten rock that is naturally extremely hot and cannot be cooled or heated by external means. However, scientists can use thermodynamics to manipulate the flow of lava and divert it away from the town.

4. What factors affect the behavior of a lava flow?

The behavior of a lava flow is affected by a variety of factors, including the composition and viscosity of the lava, the slope of the terrain, and the presence of any obstacles or barriers in the path of the flow.

5. How long does it take for scientists to come up with a solution to save a town from a lava flow?

The time it takes for scientists to come up with a solution depends on the specific situation and complexity of the problem. It can take days, weeks, or even months to fully analyze and determine the best course of action for protecting a town from a lava flow.