Saving Energy on Long-Distance Flights: Calculating Mass Impact

In summary, an airline executive decides to reduce the energy and fuel required for long distance flights by removing the paint from the outer surface of each plane. The paint removed from a single plane has a mass of 100 kg. Using the equations for gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy, it can be calculated that removing the paint saves 28.4 MJ in not having to lift it to the cruising altitude of 29000m and 31.07MJ in not having to move it from rest to a cruising speed of 230m/s. These calculations may differ from previous attempts using the equation E=K+U.
akatsafa
An airline executive decides to economize by reducing the energy, and thus the amount of fuel, required forlong distance flights. He orders the ground crew to remove the paint from the outer surface of each plane. The paint removed from a single plane has mass 100 kg. (a) If the airplane cruises at an elevation of 29000m, how much energy is saved in not having to lift the paint to that altitude? (b) How much energy is saved per airplane by not having to move the amount of paint from rest to a cruising speed of 230m/s?

I tried these and got 56.84MJ and 31.07MJ, but these are not right. I used the equation E=K+U. I solved for K and then for U, but it's not right. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
akatsafa said:
An airline executive decides to economize by reducing the energy, and thus the amount of fuel, required forlong distance flights. He orders the ground crew to remove the paint from the outer surface of each plane. The paint removed from a single plane has mass 100 kg. (a) If the airplane cruises at an elevation of 29000m, how much energy is saved in not having to lift the paint to that altitude? (b) How much energy is saved per airplane by not having to move the amount of paint from rest to a cruising speed of 230m/s?

I tried these and got 56.84MJ and 31.07MJ, but these are not right. I used the equation E=K+U. I solved for K and then for U, but it's not right. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
I don't know why you'd use that equation. In lifting something, you give it gravitational potential energy. To give it energy, you have to use energy. The energy you use is the energy it gains. Now, the energy you save by not having to lift the paint is the energy that 100kg of paint would have gained if you had lifted it. Calculate the gravitational potential energy increase for 100kg of paint being raised that distance.

[tex]\Delta E_{grav} = mg\Delta h = (100kg)(9.81 J/kg\cdot m)(29000m) = 28.4 MJ[/tex]

For part (b), you use a similar idea, except this time it is the translational kinetic energy which changes. Paint at rest has zero kinetic energy. Paint moving has some. So for it to have that energy, you've exerted energy to speed it up, so if you remove the paint, the energy saved is the energy it would have needed to speed up to that speed.

[tex]\Delta E_{k} = E'_{k} - E_{k}[/tex]

Where [itex]E'_{k}[/itex] is the final kinetic energy (after speeding up) and [itex]E_{k}[/itex] is the initial kinetic energy (at rest).

[tex]\Delta E_{k} = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 - 0[/tex]

You can figure that out.

Thank you. I had those equations written down too, but I thought it was a harder question than it really was. Thanks again.

FAQ: Saving Energy on Long-Distance Flights: Calculating Mass Impact

1. How does the mass of the aircraft affect energy consumption during a long-distance flight?

The mass of an aircraft directly affects its energy consumption during a long-distance flight. The heavier the aircraft, the more energy it needs to maintain its altitude and speed. This is because the engines have to work harder to overcome the force of gravity and air resistance.

2. What factors contribute to the overall mass of an aircraft for a long-distance flight?

The overall mass of an aircraft for a long-distance flight is influenced by several factors, including the weight of the passengers, cargo, and fuel. The type and size of the aircraft also play a role in determining its mass.

3. How can reducing the overall mass of an aircraft lead to energy savings during a long-distance flight?

By reducing the overall mass of an aircraft, its engines don't have to work as hard to keep it airborne. This means less fuel is burned, resulting in energy savings. Additionally, a lighter aircraft can fly more efficiently, further reducing energy consumption.

4. Is there a specific formula for calculating the impact of mass on energy consumption during a long-distance flight?

Yes, there is a formula: Energy consumption = (1/2) x Drag x Speed^3 x Distance. This formula takes into account the drag, or air resistance, of the aircraft, its speed, and the distance traveled. The higher the mass of the aircraft, the higher the drag, and the more energy is required to maintain its speed and altitude.

5. What are some strategies for reducing the mass of an aircraft for long-distance flights?

One strategy for reducing the mass of an aircraft is to minimize the weight of the cargo and baggage. Another is to use lightweight materials in the construction of the aircraft. Additionally, airlines can implement efficient loading and fuel management practices to ensure that just enough fuel is carried for the flight. Regular maintenance and cleaning of the aircraft can also help reduce its weight and improve fuel efficiency.

Back