Scalar field energy for two delta function sources

In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of the energy shift in a scalar field described by the Klein-Gordon equation with two time-independent point sources in an (N+1)-dimensional universe. The integral E is obtained and it is suggested to try expressing the denominator as an integral. The integral is eventually solved and leads to a hypergeometric function. However, it is noted that the final result should be simpler and there may be a mistake in the derivation. The conversation then discusses a possible substitution and suggests using special functions, such as Bessel functions, to evaluate the integral. The conversation ends with a discussion about taking the limit of the integral as m goes to zero.
NanakiXIII
I'm trying to evaluate the energy shift in a scalar field described by the Klein-Gordon equation caused by adding two time-independent point sources. In Zee's Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell, he shows the derivation for a (3+1)-dimensional universe, and I'm trying to do the same for an (N+1)-dimensional universe.

At some point I obtain the integral

[tex]
E = -\int \frac{d^N \vec{k}}{(2 \pi)^N} \frac{e^{i \vec{k} \cdot (\vec{x}_1 - \vec{x}_2)}}{\vec{k}^2 + m^2}
[/tex]

where the two [itex]x[/itex] vectors are the locations of the sources. This integral isn't hard to evaluate for 3+1 dimensions, it can be done by going to spherical coordinates, where you get an integration over [itex]d(\cos{\theta})[/itex], making the exponential doable. However, in N+1 dimensions, going to hyperspherical coordinates, I can't perform any such simplification because the volume element contains not a simple sine, but a [itex]sin^{N-2}[/itex]. I tried this road and it gives me some hypergeometric function. Can anyone see how I might proceed with this integral?

Physics news on Phys.org
NanakiXIII said:
I tried this road and it gives me some hypergeometric function. Can anyone see how I might proceed with this integral?

"It" being Mathematica?

Some of the hypergeometric functions are bessel functions in disguise if that helps. But in any case, it the integral equals a hypergeometric function, then so be it. They are perfectly well defined functions just like sin and cos and scientific software can evaluate them.

Don't know whether this really works: Try to express the denominator as an integral over exp(-r(k^2+m^2) with r=0 to infinity. Then you can do a quadratic substitution and perform integration over shifted k. For the final integral over r you probably will have to substitute y=1/r.

peteratcam said:
"It" being Mathematica?

Some of the hypergeometric functions are bessel functions in disguise if that helps. But in any case, it the integral equals a hypergeometric function, then so be it. They are perfectly well defined functions just like sin and cos and scientific software can evaluate them.

"It" being the integral, but yes, I had a look at what Mathematica had to say about it. Let me clarify. The full integral doesn't yield a hypergeometric function, just the angular integral, so I'm left with an integral over [itex]k[/itex] with the integrand consisting, among other things, of this hypergeometric function. I'm aware that the hypergeometric functions are well-defined and that they have specific special functions as special cases. The reason I'm not happy with it appearing is that the final result should be simpler, since I should be able to derive from it the analog of the inverse-square law in N dimensions. This leads me to think there might be a simpler way to do this integral, perhaps by choosing different coordinates or representing the dot product differently. I'm really just hoping someone has seen this integral before, since it's an exercise in Zee.

Try to express the denominator as an integral over exp(-r(k^2+m^2) with r=0 to infinity.

I'm not really sure right now how that will work, but I'll have a look at it. Thanks.

I tried DrDu's suggested approach and I got to an answer, but there's a problem. If I choose N=3 in the final result, things don't reduce to what I know the N=3 case should be. I haven't been able to find my mistake, if anyone would take a look I'd appreciate it. Here is what I did.

Writing

[tex]
\frac{1}{k^2+m^2} = \int_{-\infty}^{0} dr e^{r(k^2+m^2)}
[/tex]

the integral becomes

[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{0} dr \int \frac{d^N \vec{k}}{(2 \pi)^N} e^{r k^2 + i k(x1-x2) +r m^2}.
[/tex]

Rewriting the exponential I get

[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{0} dr \int \frac{d^N \vec{k}}{(2 \pi)^N} e^{r (k + \frac{i (x1-x2)}{2 r})^2 + \frac{(x1-x2)^2}{4r} + r m^2}.
[/tex]

I substitute [itex]u = (k + \frac{i (x1-x2)}{2 r}[/itex] to get

[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{0} dr \int \frac{d^N \vec{u}}{(2 \pi)^N} e^{r u^2 + \frac{(x1-x2)^2}{4r} + r m^2}.
[/tex]

Pulling out the exponentials without dependence on [itex]u[/itex] and performing the integral over [itex]u[/itex] eventually gives me.

[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{0} dr e^{\frac{(x1-x2)^2}{4r} + r m^2} 2^{-N} (-r \pi)^{-N/2}.
[/tex]

I didn't know how to do this integral, but apparently the resulting function goes like

[tex]
|x1-x2|^{\frac{2+N}{2}} K_{-\frac{2+N}{2}}(\sqrt{m} |x1-x2|),
[/tex]

where [itex]K_a[/itex] is the modified Bessel function of the second kind. If I substitute N = 3, I get an exponential multiplied with [itex]|x1-x2|[/itex] to powers 0, 1 and 2. The actual solution, however, is an exponential (this part is correct) multiplied by [itex]|x1-x2|[/itex] to the power of -1.

If anyone can spot a mistake in what I did, I'd appreciate it. Perhaps my substitution [itex]u[/itex] isn't valid? I'm not sure that it's okay for it to be a function of [itex]r[/itex].

Good boy! The substitution is ok. Wolfram alpha didn't do the integral for me. I suspected it to be some Bessel function as the exponent looks like the generating function. I don't know where the error comes from but the result you are looking for would be obtained if (N+2)/2 is replaced by (N-2)/2.

Thanks, that helped me spot my error. I had lost a minus sign (but somehow added it back when I typed the LaTeX code). How did you happen to notice this?

Now back to special functions to figure out how I do this by hand...

Thanks for the link. I had never actually encountered these specific functions, but the expression you referenced helped me figure out the integral. I'm still looking at one more problem, though. I've obtained the expression

[tex]
E = (2 \pi)^{-\frac{N}{2}} m^{\frac{N-2}{2}} |x1-x2|^{\frac{2-N}{2}} K_{\frac{N-2}{2}}(m |x1-x2|).
[/tex]

Now I need to take the limit of [itex]m[/itex] goes to zero. I had a look at some of the individual limits for different [itex]N[/itex], and it seems that

[tex]
\lim_{m \rightarrow 0} m^{\frac{N-2}{2}} K_{\frac{N-2}{2}}(m |x1-x2|) = |x1-x2|^{\frac{2-N}{2}}.
[/tex]

Is this a known result or does anyone see how I might prove this limit for general [itex]N[/itex]?

I'm afraid I've never seen that book before in my life. We used Riley, Hobson & Bence. It looks like it contains a lot of information, perhaps I should get a copy (or bookmark that site, at least).

Any way, thanks again. I can finally cross this pesky integral off my list.

I just wanted to point out that the massless case can be quite easily derived from the integral representation of the Bessel function you were deriving.

Yes, you're right. I haven't tried, but setting mass to zero I could have just partially integrated [itex]N/2[/itex] times to get to my final result, I think. Is that what you meant?

I thought in something like introducing a new variable of integration q=-(Delta x)^2/4r, then you get hopefully the pre-factor (Delta x)^(2-N) and the integral over q is the defining function of the Gamma function.

Sounds about right. I looked up the standard integral

[tex]
\int_0^\infty x^n e^{-a x} dx = \frac{\Gamma(n+1)}{a^{n+1}}
[/tex]

and applied that after substituting [itex]y = 1/r[/itex], that worked perfectly. Thanks for the tip.

The volume element in N-dimensions is given by:

[tex]
dV_{N} = r^{N - 1} \, dr \, d\Omega_{N}
[/tex]

where the solid angle is:

[tex]
d\Omega_{N} = \frac{2 \, \left[\Gamma(\frac{1}{2})\right]^{\frac{N - 1}{2}}}{\Gamma\left(\frac{N - 1}{2}\right)} \, \sin^{N - 2}{\theta} \, d\theta, \; 0 \le \theta \le \pi
[/tex]

Related to Scalar field energy for two delta function sources

1. What is a scalar field energy for two delta function sources?

A scalar field energy for two delta function sources is a mathematical concept used in physics to describe the energy associated with two point-like sources in a scalar field. It is a measure of the strength of the interaction between the two sources.

2. How is the scalar field energy for two delta function sources calculated?

The scalar field energy for two delta function sources is calculated by integrating the scalar field over all space, taking into account the contribution from both sources. The integral is then squared to account for the energy associated with both sources.

3. What is the significance of two delta function sources in the scalar field energy calculation?

Two delta function sources are used in the scalar field energy calculation because they represent point-like sources, which have a singularity in the scalar field. This allows for a more precise calculation of the energy associated with the sources.

4. Can the scalar field energy for two delta function sources be negative?

Yes, the scalar field energy for two delta function sources can be negative. This indicates that the two sources are repelling each other rather than attracting. However, the total energy of the system must always be positive.

5. How is the scalar field energy for two delta function sources used in practical applications?

The scalar field energy for two delta function sources is used in various fields of physics, such as electromagnetism and quantum field theory, to study the interactions between point-like sources. It can also be applied in engineering and materials science to understand the behavior of materials at a microscopic level.