Scalar Functions Explained - 65 characters

In summary, the conversation discusses scalar functions and their definition as quantities described by magnitude or numerical values. The use of scalar functions in one and two dimensions is also mentioned. The topic of vectors is briefly touched upon, specifically the relationship between AxB and AxC. The conversation concludes with a clarification on this relationship.
ssrtac
scalar functions :(

First of all I'm sorry for posting new thread about for this simple topic.
I know scalars are quantities that are fully described by a magnitude or numerical values.

For example i setx related scalar function and named it f(x) suppose that f(x)=5
and how about if i want to set 2-dimensional scalar function? Can we say f(x,y)=5 is scalar function? May anyone exemplify me x-related and (x,y)-related scalar functions?

Thanks in advance have a nice day.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Yes, sometimes f(x,y,z,t) would be called a scalar field.

DaleSpam said:
Yes, sometimes f(x,y,z,t) would be called a scalar field.

ok thanks:)

now , i have a question about vectors.. if AxB=AxC
then is it right to say that B=C ?

(where A,B,C are three vectors)

Not necessarily. For example let C=B + A. AxA=0.

mathman said:
Not necessarily. For example let C=B + A. AxA=0.

wow! thank you so much.

with my best regards
sertac

FAQ: Scalar Functions Explained - 65 characters

1. What are scalar functions?

Scalar functions are mathematical functions that take in one or more input values and produce a single output value. They are commonly used in data analysis and programming to manipulate and process data.

2. How are scalar functions different from other types of functions?

Scalar functions differ from other types of functions, such as vector functions, in that they only take in and produce single values. This means they cannot perform operations on multiple values at once.

3. What are some examples of scalar functions?

Some examples of scalar functions include mathematical operations like addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, as well as more complex functions like logarithms, exponentials, and trigonometric functions.

4. How are scalar functions useful in scientific research?

Scalar functions are useful in scientific research because they allow for the manipulation and analysis of data. They can help identify patterns, trends, and relationships between variables, and can also be used to make predictions and draw conclusions.

5. Are there any limitations to using scalar functions?

Yes, there are limitations to using scalar functions. As they only take in and produce single values, they are not suitable for working with complex or multidimensional data. Additionally, some scalar functions may have limited accuracy or may not be able to handle certain types of data.