Is Scale Invariance the Key to Understanding the Expansion of the Universe?

In summary: Since he doesn’t have a dynamical equation for the extra field, my best guess is that this effectively amounts to choosing a weird time coordinate in standard cosmology. If you don’t want to interpret it as a gauge, then an equation is missing. Either way the claims which follow are wrong. I can’t tell which is the case because the equations themselves just appear from nowhere. Neither of the papers contain a Lagrangian, so it remains unclear what is a degree of freedom and what isn’t. (The model is also of course not scale invariant, so somewhat of a misnomer.)Later also uses the same de Sitter prefactor for galactic...Later also
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/11/171122113013.htm

A University of Geneva researcher has recently shown that the accelerating expansion of the universe and the movement of the stars in the galaxies can be explained without drawing on the concepts of dark matter and dark energy… which might not actually exist.

What is this scale invariance?

Likes Arman777
Space news on Phys.org
wolram said:
What is this scale invariance?
Off the top of my head with only reading the heading it is referring to empty space. (a vacuum solution of GR equations) The paper is paywalled so I can't read it but modified Newtonian dynamics theories aren't new and they have their own problems. IMHO, If it were as simple as a fixed scale with or without fixed time there wouldn't be any problem solving this cosmic conundrum.

PeterDonis said:
"In addition to the general covariance of tensor analysis used in GR, cotensor analysis also admits the possibility of scale invariance of the form:
ds'= λ(x μ ) ds"
I wish I truly understood how to interpret this first equation. I guess I should just shut up and read the entire paper first. :-p

jerromyjon said:
ds'= λ(x μ ) ds"
I wish I truly understood how to interpret this first equation.
A position-dependent scale-change of the metric.

I guess I should just shut up and read the entire paper first. :-p
Anyone with a surplus of space time should probably start with his "Paper I",
i.e., An alternative to the LCDM model: the case of scale invariance

YMMV. Treat with caution.

Last edited:
strangerep said:
A position-dependent scale-change of the metric.
Easy for you to say.
strangerep said:
YMMV. Treat with caution.
The link color showed I've viewed it before but I don't remember it, I'll read it tomorrow and see what comes back to me...

wolram said:
the accelerating expansion of the universe and the movement of the stars in the galaxies can be explained without drawing on the concepts of dark matter and dark energy…
This is just another version of "It can mathematically be done" (within approximate fit to data) but it doesn't lead to any new insights of why expansion and galactic velocities may be related.
I did find an interesting table on top of page 14 in the latest paper, showing the rotation curve evolution of the milky way galaxy. Food for thought!

Likes wolram
strangerep said:
Uh-oh. Andre Maeder just received some stern discipline, down in Madam Lash's Dungeon.
That just killed this thread, similar to what the author stated in the abstract of the "Paper I":
"The presence of even tiny amounts of matter in the Universe tends to kill scale invariance. The point is that for Omega_m = 0.3 the effect is not yet completely killed."
I'm left scratching my head. I would think scale inversion a more appropriate modification. Any chance there are any other suicidal authors toying with a concept like that?
A little more detail... I think Ωm means mass density, right? So what is special about that? In relation to the scale invariance, it is what makes it work, so, might we have learned from that simple tidbit? Is it useless?

Last edited:
strangerep said:
Uh-oh. Andre Maeder just received some stern discipline, down in Madam Lash's Dungeon.
My take-away from this blog post:
Maeder tried to do something tricky with General Relativity. GR is very, very difficult to get right. Maeder made some mistakes that are really apparent to those who are familiar with such modifications.

Slightly more in-depth: Maeder's attempt amounts to a change of coordinates. Such a change in coordinates should have no dynamical effects. Maeder apparently made some mistakes in deriving some dynamical effects (to mimic dark matter/energy). Done right, his change should exactly cancel in the final equations.

At least, that's how I understand it.

kimbyd said:
Done right, his change should exactly cancel in the final equations.
Then why when it's done wrong does it work? Still scratching.

jerromyjon said:
Then why when it's done wrong does it work? Still scratching.
My naive guess is it's a matter of publication bias. He likely tried a number of different ways of massaging the equations, happened on one that kinda-sorta works, and published that without properly verifying the math was actually correct. It's much easier to make this mistake than you might think.

The core of the criticism at Backreaction is as follows:

Since he doesn’t have a dynamical equation for the extra field, my best guess is that this effectively amounts to choosing a weird time coordinate in standard cosmology. If you don’t want to interpret it as a gauge, then an equation is missing. Either way the claims which follow are wrong. I can’t tell which is the case because the equations themselves just appear from nowhere. Neither of the papers contain a Lagrangian, so it remains unclear what is a degree of freedom and what isn’t. (The model is also of course not scale invariant, so somewhat of a misnomer.)

Maeder later also uses the same de Sitter prefactor for galactic solutions, which makes even less sense. You shouldn’t be surprised that he can fit some observations when you put in the scale of the cosmological constant to galactic models, because we have known this link since the 1980s. If there is something new to learn here, it didn’t become clear to me what.

As I see it, really this is first and foremost a criticism of lack of transparency. There are critical steps in the analysis that aren't spelled out or justified. But, it strikes me as something short of a demonstration that this or something along the same lines isn't possible.

MOND uses gravitational field strength relative to a single constant as its trigger for gravity modification in the weak field, and while this doesn't correctly handle GR effects, the TeVeS generalization by Bekenstein did. This approach uses local matter-energy density relative to a single constant as the trigger for its modification. It strikes me that there is no obvious reason that a local matter-energy density trigger couldn't be included in a more rigorously formulated and reasoned modification of gravity with a similar phenomenological outcome.

jerromyjon said:
This is just another version of "It can mathematically be done" (within approximate fit to data) but it doesn't lead to any new insights of why expansion and galactic velocities may be related.

I did find an interesting table on top of page 14 in the latest paper, showing the rotation curve evolution of the milky way galaxy. Food for thought!

FWIW, I think proof of concept, even if a particular model doesn't work, is pretty important at this stage of dark matter phenomena theory. The mere possibility that something can be reduced to simple equations that it is very hard to arrive at with a particle dark matter theory is in and of itself significant.

ohwilleke said:
As I see it, really this is first and foremost a criticism of lack of transparency.

No, it's a criticism that there is no possible way to get a consistent model out of what the paper is saying. Note that the passage you quoted says specifically: "Either way the claims which follow are wrong." In other words, it's not clear which of two possible mistakes the author is making, but it's clear that he's making a mistake. That's a more serious criticism than just "lack of transparency".

ohwilleke said:
it strikes me as something short of a demonstration that this or something along the same lines isn't possible.

You're right, it isn't; it's just a demonstration that this paper does not do what it claims to do. It makes no general claim that there is no possible way to do what the paper claims to do (in the general sense of "find some consistent model that doesn't require assuming dark matter").

ohwilleke said:
proof of concept,

The paper is not a "proof of concept" of anything because there is no way to get a consistent model from it.

Likes Buzz Bloom
ohwilleke said:
The core of the criticism at Backreaction is as follows: ...

As I see it, really this is first and foremost a criticism of lack of transparency. There are critical steps in the analysis that aren't spelled out or justified. But, it strikes me as something short of a demonstration that this or something along the same lines isn't possible.

Did you see the comment by John Baez on the blog?

George Jones said:
Did you see the comment by John Baez on the blog?

Nope. It is interesting. (Not sure, given time zones and comment permissions that it was even there when I read it.)

The conformal or scale factor must be a function of time only, for reason of homogeneity and isotropy. A supplemental inverse value for time allows one to apply the Minkowski metric in scale invariance.
jerromyjon said:
I'm left scratching my head. I would think scale inversion a more appropriate modification. Any chance there are any other suicidal authors toying with a concept like that?
Or is it one and the same...

Last edited:

Related to Is Scale Invariance the Key to Understanding the Expansion of the Universe?

1. What is scale invariance of space?

Scale invariance of space refers to the property of space that remains unchanged under a change in scale. This means that the laws and properties of space remain the same regardless of the scale at which they are observed.

2. How is scale invariance of space related to the concept of symmetry?

Scale invariance is a type of symmetry in which the object or system remains unchanged under a change in scale. This symmetry is seen in various physical phenomena, such as fractals, where the structure and patterns remain the same regardless of the scale at which they are observed.

3. What evidence supports the idea of scale invariance of space?

One of the key pieces of evidence for scale invariance of space is the observation of fractals in nature. These self-similar patterns can be found in everything from coastlines to tree branches, and their existence suggests that the same laws and properties of space are at work on both large and small scales.

4. How does the concept of scale invariance of space relate to the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, specifically the theory of general relativity, is based on the idea of scale invariance of space. This theory states that the laws of physics should be the same regardless of the observer's reference frame or point of view. This is only possible if space itself is scale invariant.

5. Can scale invariance of space be observed directly?

No, scale invariance of space cannot be observed directly. It is a fundamental property of space that is assumed to be true based on the observed symmetry in physical phenomena. However, the effects of this property can be observed in various natural and man-made structures and systems.