Scale Relativity: Exploring Einstein's Extension of Relativity

In summary, the idea of an invariant length scale in physics is based on a contrived mathematical relationship between e and pi, and is likely unstable.
dx
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Physics news on Phys.org
Looking through Notalle's papers, I feel that this a combination of mathematical handwaving and lion hunting. Far too many of the arguments depend upon a contrived combination of syncretic analysis of algebraic structure plus a derived statistical fit. This leads me to believe that this is a form of algebraic numerology based upon a superficial numerical quoitient geometric relationship between e and pi as is described by considering the curlicue thermodynamics of the spiral logarithm.

I am not a professional theoretical physicist, but I personally strongly suspect that nature would deliberately avoid such a scheme as it appears to be littered with potential imperfection sensitivity and instability. Surely, the reason why we have a variety of dynamics each associated with a particular range, is to safeguard the physics of the universe and what it does.

nicky nichols said:
Looking through Notalle's papers, I feel that this a combination of mathematical handwaving and lion hunting. Far too many of the arguments depend upon a contrived combination of syncretic analysis of algebraic structure plus a derived statistical fit. This leads me to believe that this is a form of algebraic numerology based upon a superficial numerical quoitient geometric relationship between e and pi as is described by considering the curlicue thermodynamics of the spiral logarithm.

I am not a professional theoretical physicist, but I personally strongly suspect that nature would deliberately avoid such a scheme as it appears to be littered with potential imperfection sensitivity and instability. Surely, the reason why we have a variety of dynamics each associated with a particular range, is to safeguard the physics of the universe and what it does.

please be more specific. can you point out any particular argument that does this?

I genuinely hope that the Wikipedia article presents an incorrect picture of the idea. The idea of an invariant length scale certainly has some potential, but the "motivation" that's given in the Wikipedia article is pure crackpottery!

FAQ: Scale Relativity: Exploring Einstein's Extension of Relativity

1. What is Scale Relativity?

Scale Relativity is an extension of Einstein's theory of General Relativity, which explains the behavior of gravity in the presence of large masses. It incorporates the concept of scale invariance, meaning that the laws of physics remain the same regardless of changes in scale. This theory proposes that the universe is self-similar at different scales, from the subatomic level to the cosmic scale.

2. How does Scale Relativity differ from General Relativity?

Scale Relativity differs from General Relativity in that it takes into account the effects of scale invariance, while General Relativity assumes that the laws of physics are the same at all scales. Scale Relativity also proposes a modification to the equations of gravity, known as the Scale Relativity equation, to better explain the behavior of gravity at small scales.

3. What is the significance of Scale Relativity in astrophysics?

Scale Relativity has important implications in astrophysics, as it provides a better understanding of the behavior of gravity in extreme environments, such as black holes and the early universe. It also has the potential to explain phenomena that cannot be fully explained by General Relativity, such as dark energy and dark matter.

4. How is Scale Relativity being tested and validated?

Scale Relativity is being tested through various experiments, such as measuring the gravitational redshift of light from distant galaxies and studying the behavior of particles in high-energy accelerators. It is also being validated through mathematical and computational models that demonstrate its ability to explain observed phenomena in astrophysics.

5. What are the potential implications of Scale Relativity for our understanding of the universe?

If Scale Relativity is proven to be a valid theory, it could revolutionize our understanding of the universe and the fundamental laws of physics. It could provide a more complete and unified theory of gravity, and potentially lead to breakthroughs in other areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and cosmology.