Scattering Amplitude in Canonical Quantization

In summary, when expanding the S-matrix in powers of \lambda, the e^{-iH_0T} term can be ignored as it only contributes a phase factor and the result is -i\lambda \int <k_1k_2|\phi^4|k_3k_4>.
CGH
Hi there,

I have little question: reading zee 2nd edition, I.8 (pag 64) i came up with this:

start with
[tex] <k_1 k_2| e^{-iHT}| k_3 k_4>[/tex]

and

[tex]H=H_0 +u[/tex]

[tex]u=\lambda \int \phi^4[/tex]

where [itex]H_0[/itex] is the usual hamiltonian for the free scalar field.

Then, zee says that "expanding in [itex]\lambda[/itex], we obtain [itex]-i\lambda \int <k_1k_2|\phi^4|k_3k_4>[/itex]"

my question is: how did he get that?
You cannot do an expansion around [itex]H[/itex], because [itex]\lambda[/itex] is the small term, so, i do the following,

[tex]\exp(-iH_0T -iu T)=\exp(-iH_0 T)\exp(-iu)\exp(-T^2[H_0,u]/2)[/tex]

then, by working a little, i find that [itex][H_0,u]=0[/itex], so, i can perform a safe expansion around [itex]\lambda[\itex],

[tex] <k_1 k_2| e^{-iHT}| k_3 k_4>=<k_1 k_2| e^{-iH_0T}(1-iT u+O(\lambda^2))| k_3 k_4>[/tex]

now, i still get something different: instead of [itex]-i\lambda \int <k_1k_2|\phi^4|k_3k_4>[/itex], i get [itex]-i\lambda \int <k_1k_2|e^{-iH_0 T}\phi^4|k_3k_4>[/itex] (note: [itex]T=\int dx^0[/itex], i omit the [itex]dx[/itex] in the integration),

my question: what happened to the [itex]e^{-iH_0T}[/itex] term?, i think that it is just a phase and you get [itex]-i\lambda \int <k_1k_2|\phi^4|k_3k_4>e^{-iET}[/itex], with [itex]E[/itex] a real number, and that why it doesn't matter.

another option is, by looking (15) you realize that the term [itex]\lambda^0[/tex] is normalize as 1, so, i guess, the S-matrix is normalize, and then, you don't get the factor outside.

which one is the answer?

Saludos!

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is that the e^{-iH_0T} term does not matter because it is just a phase factor. When you expand in powers of \lambda, all terms with \lambda^n are normalized so that the \lambda^0 term is 1. This means that when you expand the S-matrix in powers of \lambda, the constant term is 1 and the other terms have coefficients that depend on the values of k_1, k_2, k_3, and k_4. Therefore, the result is -i\lambda \int <k_1k_2|\phi^4|k_3k_4>.

Related to Scattering Amplitude in Canonical Quantization

1. What is scattering amplitude in canonical quantization?

Scattering amplitude in canonical quantization is a mathematical quantity that describes the probability amplitude for a scattering process to occur in quantum physics. It is calculated using the canonical quantization formalism, which is a method for quantizing classical systems.

2. How is scattering amplitude calculated in canonical quantization?

The scattering amplitude in canonical quantization is calculated using the Feynman path integral, which involves summing over all possible paths that a particle can take from the initial state to the final state. This sum is then multiplied by a factor that takes into account the energy of the particles and the interaction between them.

3. What is the significance of scattering amplitude in quantum physics?

Scattering amplitude is an important concept in quantum physics as it allows us to make predictions about the outcomes of scattering experiments. It provides a way to calculate the probability of a particle being scattered in a particular direction, which is essential for understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

4. How does the scattering amplitude change with energy and distance?

The scattering amplitude is inversely proportional to the energy of the particles involved in the scattering process. This means that as the energy of the particles increases, the scattering amplitude decreases. Additionally, the scattering amplitude decreases as the distance between the particles increases, as the particles have less chance of interacting with each other.

5. Can scattering amplitude be experimentally measured?

Yes, scattering amplitude can be experimentally measured using various techniques such as particle accelerators and detectors. By analyzing the data from these experiments, scientists can determine the scattering amplitude and compare it to theoretical predictions, providing insights into the fundamental nature of particles and their interactions.