Scattering by Multiwalled Carbon Nanotubes

In summary: This is why most research in this field has focused on using single-walled carbon nanotubes, which have smaller diameters and therefore less light scattering. In summary, the use of single-walled carbon nanotubes is preferred for transparent conductive films due to their smaller diameters and lower light scattering, making them more suitable for applications that require high transparency.
Husina
I am interested in the use of carbon nanotubes for making transparent conductive films, for example to replace indium tin oxide.
When I looked up papers on the subject, I noticed that most of the work to date has used single-walled carbon nanotubes.
Initially I was under the impression that single-walled CNTs is almost exclusively used because of the higher conductivity of single walled CNTs (especially metallic CNTs).

However, someone recently pointed out to me that larger diameter of multiwalled CNTs result in more scattering.
I did not get a chance to ask him what he means by that and I'm not even sure if he is referring to light scattering or electron scattering.
Can someone please provide me with more details as to what it might mean?
Also, why would scattering be detrimental to the performance of transparent conductive films if they are to be used for say display applications or as electrode for organic PVs.

My apology if this is a rather mundane question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Scattering can refer to both light and electron scattering. In the context of transparent conductive films, light scattering is more relevant. Light scattering occurs when light hits an object or material, and some of the light is scattered away in different directions. This reduces the transparency of the material, as it scatters away from the intended direction. In the case of carbon nanotubes, multiwalled CNTs have larger diameters than single-walled CNTs, which results in more light scattering due to their larger surface area. This reduces the transparency of the material, making it less suitable for applications that require high transparency, such as display applications or electrodes for organic photovoltaics.

Related to Scattering by Multiwalled Carbon Nanotubes

1. What are multiwalled carbon nanotubes?

Multiwalled carbon nanotubes (MWCNTs) are cylindrical structures made up of multiple layers of graphene sheets. They are a type of carbon nanomaterial with unique properties such as high strength, electrical conductivity, and thermal conductivity.

2. How do MWCNTs scatter light?

MWCNTs scatter light through a process called Rayleigh scattering, where the interaction between the incident light and the nanotube causes the light to change direction. This scattering can be observed as a change in color or intensity of the scattered light.

3. What factors affect the scattering behavior of MWCNTs?

The scattering behavior of MWCNTs is influenced by several factors, including the size, shape, and alignment of the nanotubes, as well as the wavelength and polarization of the incident light. The surrounding environment and any functionalization of the MWCNTs can also affect their scattering properties.

4. How is scattering by MWCNTs useful in scientific research?

Scattering by MWCNTs can provide valuable information about the size, structure, and alignment of these nanomaterials. This information is useful in various fields such as materials science, nanotechnology, and biomedicine. Additionally, MWCNTs can be used as scattering agents in various imaging and sensing techniques.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with MWCNTs and their scattering properties?

There have been concerns about the potential health and environmental risks associated with MWCNTs, particularly in their ability to scatter light and affect the behavior of living cells. However, extensive research is being conducted to better understand and mitigate these risks, and appropriate safety measures are being implemented in the handling and use of MWCNTs.