Scattering direction and probability

In summary, the surface area of the uniformly illuminated sphere is greatest at θ=90∘θ=90∘ \theta=90^{\circ} for a given ΔθΔθ.
dRic2
Gold Member
Hi, I'm having some trouble understanding the following result.

Let's immagine a collision of two point particles in which one can be considered at rest and suppose the scattering process viewed in center of mass frame is isotropic. Then the probability of one particles to be scattered in one direction is ##p(\Omega) = \frac 1 {4 \pi}##. Let us suppose then the process is also symmetric w.r.t. the polar angle ##\phi##. Then
$$p(\Omega) d \Omega = \frac 1 {4 \pi} \sin \theta d\theta 2 \pi = \frac 1 2 \sin \theta d \theta = p( \theta) d\theta$$
so
$$p( \theta) = \frac 1 2 sin \theta$$
This probability doesn't seem so "isotropic" to me tough. In fact according to this result the particle is more likely to be scattered in an orthogonal direction. But isotropic means that every direction has the same probability to be "chosen".

What did I got wrong ?

Science news on Phys.org
And to answer your specific question, the surface area contained in the uniformly illuminated sphere (illuminated by scattered particles) is greatest at ## \theta=90^{\circ} ## for a given ## \Delta \theta ##, where ## \theta ## is the polar angle in polar coordinates.
## \sin{\theta} ## has its peak at ## \theta=90^{\circ} ##.
What you did is correct.
If I remember correctly, the specular reflection of a collimated beam from a specular (as opposed to diffuse) hemispherical scatterer has ## \frac{d \sigma}{d \Omega}=\frac{A}{2 \pi} ## (uniform scattering over the ## 2 \pi ## steradians of the hemisphere) for scattering into the far-field hemisphere,
where
## A=\pi R^2 ## is the projected area of the hemispherical scatterer.
That makes total cross section ## \sigma=\int (\frac{d \sigma}{d \Omega}) \, d \Omega=A ##.
Note that ## \frac{d \sigma}{d \Omega}=0 ## for the back hemisphere for this scatterer. Thereby the integration over the entire sphere in the far-field simply is a factor of ## 2 \pi ##.

Last edited:
If I what I did is correct then, as you said,
Charles Link said:
And to answer your specific question, the surface area contained in the uniformly illuminated sphere (illuminated by scattered particles) is greatest at θ=90∘θ=90∘ \theta=90^{\circ} for a given ΔθΔθ \Delta \theta , where θθ \theta is the polar angle in polar coordinates.
But how is that isotropic ? I don't get that... I would expect all the surface element to be equal

dRic2 said:
If I what I did is correct then, as you said,

But how is that isotropic ? I don't get that... I would expect all the surface element to be equal

The scattered illumination is uniform over the far field ## dA=r^2 d \Omega ##. In polar coordinates though, there is very little surface area from ## \theta=0^{\circ} ## to ## \theta=1^{\circ} ##. Meanwhile, there is a comparatively large surface area from ## \theta=89^{\circ} ## to ## \theta=90^{\circ} ##. Thereby, the uniformly illuminated sphere does not have a ## p(\theta) ## distribution that is uniform. ## p(\theta) ## is proportional to ## \sin{\theta} ##. ## \\ ## You encounter something similar in polar coordinates where ## dV=r^2 \, \sin{\theta} \, d \theta \, d \phi \, dr ##. There is very little volume for ## 0 \leq r \leq .01 ##, and much more volume for ## 1.00 \leq r \leq 1.01 ##, and even far more for ## 10.00 \leq r \leq 10.01 ##, etc. For this case, you can compute ## \Delta V=(\frac{4 \pi}{3})(r_1^3-r_o^3)=(\frac{ 4 \pi}{3})((r_o+\Delta r)^3-r_o^3) \approx 4 \pi r_o^2 \Delta r ##.

Last edited:
Likes dRic2
Thanks for the insight! I'm starting to visualize it :)

Likes Charles Link

Related to Scattering direction and probability

1. What is scattering direction?

Scattering direction refers to the direction in which a particle or wave is deflected or redirected after interacting with another particle or object. This can occur due to various forces, such as electromagnetic or gravitational interactions.

2. How is scattering direction determined?

The scattering direction of a particle or wave is determined by the momentum and energy of the interacting particles, as well as the nature of the interaction itself. In quantum mechanics, the probability of a particular scattering direction is described by the scattering amplitude.

3. What factors affect the scattering direction?

The scattering direction can be influenced by numerous factors, including the mass and charge of the interacting particles, the distance between them, and the strength of the interaction force. Additionally, the initial velocity and direction of the particles can also impact the scattering direction.

4. What is the relationship between scattering direction and probability?

The scattering direction and probability are closely related, as the probability of a particle or wave being scattered in a particular direction is determined by the properties and interactions of the particles involved. The scattering probability can be calculated using mathematical equations and experimental data.

5. How is scattering direction and probability used in scientific research?

Scattering direction and probability are important concepts in various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and materials science. They are used to study the behavior of particles and waves, as well as to understand the structure and properties of different materials. Scattering experiments and calculations are also commonly used to test and validate theoretical models and predictions.