Scattering Problem - Unstable particles and a version of the optical theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of showing that unitarity fixes the numerator of the partial wave amplitude near the delta pole in a scattering scenario involving 2-2 bodies of unstable particles. The solution involves using the optical theorem and the partial wave expansion, and relating the exponential of the phase shift to a specific form involving real parameters. The lecture notes provide further details and equations to guide the solution process.
arestes

Homework Statement

Problem: Show that unitarity (of the S-Matrix which has implications to the amplitud of scattering of 2-2 bodies scattering of unstable particles) fixes the numerator of the Partial wave amplitude near the [tex]\Delta[/tex]-pole,
[tex]q M_1 = \frac{-M_{\Delta}\Gamma_{\Delta}}{s-M^2_{\Delta}+iM_{\Delta}\Gamma_{\Delta}}[/tex]
where we are working in the center of mass reference and q is the magnitude of the momentum which is common for a 2-2 scattering (of unstable particles) and the M_1 on the LHS is part of the partial wave expansion of the amplitude (see below) and M_Delta is the mass of the resonance on the RHS

Homework Equations

Optical theorem. Partial wave expansion and everything in the first sections of chapter 11 to 11.5 of these lecture notes: http://www.nat.vu.nl/~mulders/QFT-0E.pdf
especially the partial wave expansion in 11.48 there

M[tex](x, \theta) = -8\pi \sum_l (2l +1)M_l(s) P_l(cos\theta)[/tex]

where [tex]P_l[/tex] are the legendre polynomials and I assume that the functions M_l are defined through this relation

Actually, I'm trying to solve exercise 11.2 of those lecture notes which looks like an especial case of equation 11.59

The Attempt at a Solution

Seriously, even though the lecture notes says it is straightforward (using the unitarity condition mentioned there) I cannot see how to proceed. I looked at eq. 11.49 since it is one version of the unitarity condition. then I have to somehow relate it to the width of unstable particles. Then they say that we need a modified propagator that includes the parameter [tex] \Gamma [/tex] so that we can get a time evolution which is decaying exponentially as it should. Then I swear I cannot relate it to the definition of the width.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The lecture notes won't download for me, but I think I can guess what's required. Unitarity says that [itex]q M_1[/itex] takes the form

[tex]q M_1 = {e^{2i\delta_1}-1\over 2i}[/tex]

where [itex]\delta_1[/itex] is real. So, first show that [itex]e^{2i\delta_1}[/itex] can be written in the form

[tex]e^{2i\delta_1}={a-ib\over a+ib}[/itex]

where [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] are real. Then work out [itex]q M_1[/itex] in terms of [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex], and compare with the expression you were given.

Thanks for the hint. I uploaded the pdf (hopefully it will be approved soon) here since for some reason their server was down.Their server must come online anytime soon because it's from a university. I can see that using the form of the exponential of the phase shift would indeed help for the problem, I don't see it would help for the general case in equation 11.59

[tex]
q (M_l)_{ij}(s) = \frac{-M\sqrt{\Gamma_i \Gamma_j}}{s-M^2+iM\Gamma}
[/tex]
where [tex]s=(E_1 +E_2)^2 = E^2 [/tex] and [tex]\Gamma = \sum_n \Gamma_n[/tex]

because of the square roots there.

I'm trying to show that the exponential of the phase shift is of that form but that also seems to appear out of nowhere (I'm following those lecture notes) so I'll be looking at other books about scattering.

Could you please check those lecture notes?
thanks

Attachments

• QFT-0E.pdf
    991.5 KB · Views: 547
Last edited:
Sorry, the notes do not define what the subscripts i and j mean in this context, and I'm not able to guess.

Yeah well... the subscripts i and j are inherited from the amplitude after we make the Partial wave expansion on equation 11.48, (they relate states). Actually I need to show only the version in problem 11.2 which has only one Gamma and the mass of the resonance M_Delta... It's so frustrating...

Related to Scattering Problem - Unstable particles and a version of the optical theorem

1. What is the scattering problem in particle physics?

The scattering problem in particle physics refers to the study of how particles interact and scatter off of each other. This is important in understanding the fundamental forces and interactions between particles.

2. What are unstable particles?

Unstable particles are particles that have a short lifetime and decay into other particles. They are often referred to as "resonances" because they can only exist for a short time before decaying.

3. How is the optical theorem related to the scattering problem?

The optical theorem is a mathematical relationship that connects the forward scattering amplitude of a particle to its total cross section. This allows scientists to make predictions about the behavior of unstable particles in scattering experiments.

4. What factors can affect the stability of particles?

The stability of particles can be affected by a variety of factors, including their mass, charge, and interactions with other particles. The strength of the fundamental forces, such as the strong and weak nuclear forces, also play a role in determining the stability of particles.

5. How do scientists study scattering problems and unstable particles?

Scientists study scattering problems and unstable particles through experiments using particle accelerators and detectors. They also use theoretical models and calculations to understand the behavior of particles and make predictions about their interactions.