Schaum's Outline of Quantum Mechanics 8.11

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of an electron having a value of r smaller than the Bohr radius if a hydrogen atom is in the state n = 2, l = 0. The solution involves using various equations, including eqn (8.33) and eqn (8.42), and performing integrations. The calculated probability is 0.0343, which is significantly different from the expected value of 0.176.
Jimmy Snyder

Homework Statement

If a hydrogen atom is in the state n = 2, l = 0, what is the probability that an electron has a value of r that is smaller than the Bohr radius.

Homework Equations

eqn (8.8)
[tex]\psi_{200}(r, \theta, \phi) = R_{20}Y_0^0(\theta, \phi)[/tex]

Page 305
[tex]Y_0^0(\theta, \phi) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi}}[/tex]

eqn (8.33)
[tex]R_{20} = 2(2a_0)^{-3/2}(1 - \frac{r}{2a_0})e^{-r/2a_0}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]P = \int_0^{2\pi}d\phi \int_0^{\pi}d\theta\int_0^{a_0}dr r^2|\psi(r, \theta, \phi)|^2sin(\theta)[/tex]
[tex]= \int_0^{2\pi}d\phi \int_0^{\pi}d\theta sin(\theta) (Y_0^0(\theta, \phi))^2 \int_0^{a_0}dr r^2 4(2a_0)^{-3}(1 - \frac{r}{2a_0})^2e^{-r/a_0}[/tex]
Now let [itex]z = r/a_0[/itex]; [itex]dr = a_0dz[/itex] then
[tex]P = \frac{4\pi}{4\pi}\frac{4}{(2a_0)^3}\int_0^1 a_0dz a_0^2z^2(1 - \frac{z}{2})^2e^{-z}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{2}\int_0^1 dz (z^2 - z^3 + \frac{z^4}{4})e^{-z}[/tex]
[tex] = (-1 -z -\frac{z^2}{2} - \frac{z^4}{8})e^{-z}|_0^1[/tex]
[tex] = 1 - \frac{21}{8e} = 0.0343[/tex]

The book gives the answer .176

I calculated that the probability of r being less than 4 times the Bohr radius is .176

Placing n = 2, l = 0 in equation 8.42 gives that the mean value for r is 6 times the Bohr radius. I find it hard to believe that the electron could spend nearly 18% of the time at less than 1 Bohr radius and yet average out to 6 Bohr radii.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's + z^4/4 inside the bracket under the integral sign. And are you sure about the integrations ?

dextercioby said:
It's + z^4/4 inside the bracket under the integral sign. And are you sure about the integrations ?
Thank you. I fixed that. I am as sure about them as I can be, but if I were 100% sure, I wouldn't have posted. By the way, I also solved the integral numerically using a calculator and got the same 0.0343 result. I believe that if I am wrong, it is because I am using the wrong approach, not because of an error in calculation.

FAQ: Schaum's Outline of Quantum Mechanics 8.11

1. What is the purpose of "Schaum's Outline of Quantum Mechanics 8.11"?

The purpose of "Schaum's Outline of Quantum Mechanics 8.11" is to provide a comprehensive and concise review of the fundamental concepts and principles of quantum mechanics. It is designed to help students and researchers understand and apply the mathematical and theoretical foundations of this complex field.

2. Is "Schaum's Outline of Quantum Mechanics 8.11" suitable for beginners?

Yes, "Schaum's Outline of Quantum Mechanics 8.11" is suitable for beginners as it covers the basic concepts and principles of quantum mechanics in a clear and accessible manner. However, some prior knowledge of calculus and linear algebra is recommended.

3. Can "Schaum's Outline of Quantum Mechanics 8.11" be used as a textbook?

While "Schaum's Outline of Quantum Mechanics 8.11" can serve as a useful supplement to a textbook, it is not meant to replace a traditional textbook. Its concise format and focus on problem-solving make it a valuable study guide for students, but it may not provide enough in-depth explanations for use as a primary textbook.

4. Are there practice problems and solutions included in "Schaum's Outline of Quantum Mechanics 8.11"?

Yes, "Schaum's Outline of Quantum Mechanics 8.11" includes over 600 solved problems and over 400 supplementary problems with detailed solutions. These practice problems cover a range of difficulty levels and allow readers to test their understanding of the material.

5. Is "Schaum's Outline of Quantum Mechanics 8.11" a good resource for exam preparation?

Yes, "Schaum's Outline of Quantum Mechanics 8.11" can be a valuable resource for exam preparation as it covers all the essential concepts and includes numerous practice problems with solutions. It can help students review and reinforce their understanding of quantum mechanics before an exam.

Back