Scholarship Thread: Quantum Info Science

In summary: However, it's a good idea to have a list of all the scholarships out there, so that students can have an easier time finding them.
J-H S
Is there a thread/forum for science Scholarship advertisements?
My supervisor has asked me to advertise PhD positions in Quantum Information science on the net.

Physics news on Phys.org
If there isn't there definitely should be! A thread like this would be very useful, along with a thread pointing out the top schools in certain fields etc. This information should be easily available to students and this forum would be a great place to organize it. I'll bring it up in the Forum Feedback section of the site.

I know there are many, MANY, scholarship sites out there, but I think some of them can be a real hassle. I'm not sure if the forums is really the place for advertising...I just don't know.

At the very least there must be a thread with all the best sites to search for scholarships in it. eg. iop's tiptopjobs see: http://tiptop.iop.org/

J-H S said:
I know there are many, MANY, scholarship sites out there, but I think some of them can be a real hassle.

I know exactly what you mean! I got so frustrated with hard-to-find scholarships and internships or website listing that were badly out-of-date that I started keeping a document for myself from year to year. That grew into a list that I sent around to my university department last year. Now, I compiled the list on my website and I have what I think is the most comprehensive listing of opportunities for physics students on the internet (in English, at least). But I know I'm probably missing many; some are just so hard to find!

Edited to add: I think creating a thread for this topic is a good idea.

Last edited:
Ah, yes you are talking of established bursaries. It would definitely be beneficial for prospective students to have access to an as-near-as-possible-to-complete list of scholarships.

I wasn't even thinking of those, I was just thinking of the coming and going "this place has 2 scholarships available, closing date whenever" once off things, like you find on tiptop or physicsweb.

Why don't you start one? If it ends up useful enough, we can make it into a sticky thread.

I think Laura1013 should start one with her compiled list of scholarships. Then people can add to that thread any scholarships that are not included in the list.

I'm not sure how a thread for specific once-off scholarships would work. Probably not that well, since the people who would like to advertise them might not think of doing it here, and rather stick to established channels.

Related to Scholarship Thread: Quantum Info Science

1. What is Quantum Information Science?

Quantum Information Science is a field of study that combines elements of quantum physics, computer science, and mathematics to explore how information is processed, stored, and transmitted using quantum systems.

2. What are the practical applications of Quantum Information Science?

Quantum Information Science has a wide range of potential applications, including quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum sensing. These technologies have the potential to greatly enhance data security, improve computational power, and enable more precise measurements in various fields.

3. How does Quantum Information Science differ from classical information science?

Classical information science deals with information that is encoded and processed using classical systems, such as bits in a computer. Quantum Information Science, on the other hand, works with information encoded in quantum systems, which have unique properties such as superposition and entanglement.

4. What are the challenges facing Quantum Information Science?

Some of the challenges facing Quantum Information Science include the delicate nature of quantum systems, the difficulty in controlling and manipulating them, and the high error rates that can occur during quantum operations. Additionally, there is a need for more advanced hardware and software to fully realize the potential of this field.

5. How can I get involved in Quantum Information Science?

There are various ways to get involved in Quantum Information Science, such as pursuing a degree in physics, computer science, or mathematics with a focus on quantum information, attending conferences and workshops, and joining research groups or companies working in this field. It is also important to stay updated on the latest developments and advancements in Quantum Information Science through reading scientific journals and publications.